You finally did it! You got your new house or property, and everything seems to be moving just as you planned. You negotiate the prices of your new property and settle all the expenses that come with it. You are ready to move. All that remains are just MOVING. Does this sound familiar? It probably does! Every year, thousands of people are on the move from one place to another. Some of these relocations may even include leaving the country for somewhere else while others could simply mean that you are to move locally.
If you are all set to move locally, then you would no doubt be looking for ways to get your stuff over to your new place. For most people, the perfect thing to do is to get the right professionals to do the job-local movers!
Sounds easy right? However, it is not that easy. While we know that we need local movers, we also know that to get the right local movers could prove to be a challenge indeed. That is why we have made this article to guide you on the steps and things you would need to be on the lookout for when you are hiring local movers. Ready to see some of them?
Here is your complete guide to hiring local movers
The Question of Do it yourself
For most people who are looking to move and are considering local movers, one of the first things you would have to ask yourself if it is worth it. Do you need to get a local mover? While this may be a tad confusing to you, it can easily be answered by asking yourself some important questions. This would normally include;
- Who would help you move? While the thought of saving money can be tempting, thinking about the individuals who would help you move should be on your mind. There would most likely be a lot of things which you are going to have to move from one place to another. These things could also be quite heavy too. Therefore, before you make up your mind to do it before you, make sure you always trustworthy and reliable people or friends who are willing to do the heavy lifting for you. If you do not, you would probably be left stranded.
- How much experience do you have? While moving may look as simple as a really moving thing, it calls for a lot of experience. For example, there would be the danger of damaging some items permanently on your way to your new home. You have to ask yourself if you have the experience within you to get this job done with precision and accuracy. If you do not, it would be better to contact a local moving company.
- How much driving do you know? Because there are so many things that have to be moved, you might have to drive a van to get your load over to your destination. Having experience driving a van helps as it would reduce the likelihood of an accident on the road. If you do not have experience, it would always be better to leave this job for the professionals to handle
Finding Local Movers
If you have established without a doubt that you are going to need local movers, then the next step would no doubt to find where they are. You should ensure that you try to nail down a moving company as soon as you can. This should be done if you do not want unnecessary time wasting for your items that need to be transported.
However, you would have to find local movers who you can trust to move your personal stuff to your new home. While looking for a suitable one, here are some things which you should very consider;
- Customer review: one of the best ways to get the best of the very best local movers these days is through customer reviews. Customer reviews would help you to know just how efficient and good their services are. To get a customer review, you must not go online even though that is a very good option. You can get them from your friends and other people you know who have gone through the same process of moving things. They would be able to tell you which of the local movers are good and which of them are bad. You can also, however, complete your research through the internet.
- Reputation: When looking for local movers, another way to locate them is through their reputation. Many local movers who have shown their good work through the years are well known and are rated very highly. If you are ever in doubt as to the local movers which you should move, you can always fix up an appointment with one of these companies. They would be delighted to help you in any way that they can.
- Skilled Professionals: if you are ever in doubt as to the expertise of a local moving company, you should ensure that you check the certifications and the skills which their staff have. Knowing this would help either reassure you that you are on the right track or give you a sense of danger that the path you are treading is quite dangerous. In the end, it is at your discretion to choose the local mover of your preference.
- Price: Another thing which might come into play is the price of a local mover. If you are under a strict budget, it would be better to look for cheap movers which would be discussed below. You can also find out what their price would be by asking for price estimates when you contact them. This would ensure that you do not end up wasting your time. It is important to note that inspection by the local movers of your house remains the best choice when looking for price estimations.
Looking for cheap movers?
Like earlier stated, if you are on the lookout for cheap movers probably due to your budget, then you cannot just settle for any local moving company. However, it is important to note that while getting a cheap local moving company would be amazing, it should not overweight the importance of getting a quality one. For example, imagine that you a local mover who is quite cheap and affordable. You make the necessary payments, and they do a terrible job at it. Your items are damaged or thrown off the van on the way due to reckless driving. You would have lost everything while trying to go for something cheap!
However, going for cheap local movers that do a good job is also very possible. To get this right, here are some things that you might need to do;
- You should try to get in touch with the more reputable local movers who are around you. when you have gotten in touch with them, you should ask for a home inspection to ascertain the cost of moving your items
- Ensure that everything that needs to go is made visible to them to make sure that the costs presented are as accurate as possible. Also, ensure that you know all the hidden costs and miscellaneous which may rear its head during the trip.
Once this is done, it would also be a good idea to get the prices of so many local moving companies and compare them to find the one that is cheaper. Please note that while low prices can be very appealing, it is always a good idea to avoid price estimations which is much lower than the costs of the other local moving company.
Reducing the Cost
Now, it is important to know how to reduce the cost of the movers if you can. When it comes to calculating costs for local moves, it is important to note that there is a wide difference between moving to a different area entirely and simply making a move to another property in the same area. The first thing that marks its difference is the shortened distance in the case of moving locally. It is also important the price of the movement is usually calculated with time as the major determinants rather than the weight of the product nor the height.
Despite the favorable conditions, it is possible to run control of your financial requirements when moving your things. If this is the situation you face, then you can quickly solve your issues using these methods;
- One way to do this is to try to reduce the number of things you are carrying. The truth is that the more products which you would have to carry, the more possibility that the trip would be longer or would have to be broken into many trips. Hence, try to shorten the number of things which you would them to help you carry.
- Try to put your things in order yourself. Remember that everything that counts during this period has to do with time. The only way to reduce costs is by reducing the time they spent with you. Even if you suck at packing, try to ensure that your things are well-arranged for them when they work through that door. You would be surprised as to the impact it would have. If you are having a hard time achieving this, you can always seek the help of your friends. They would always be happy to help.
Please note that sometimes, it is not always easy to have everything that you owned packed and arranged in time. If this is the case for you, you have the option of leaving everything for them to pack or saving some for yourself to pack later. Either choice is good as far as you have the money to back it up.
Spotting Bad local moving companies
Before we forget, it is always a good idea to keep yourself away from local movers who have a bad reputation or are simply incompetent at what they do. While it may be hard to completely focus during this period, it is important to look at for some of these signs. They would hint at you as to the integrity of the companies. They would naturally include;
- It is always a bad idea to go with a local moving company whose prices are just too good to be true. As earlier stated, while this may be tempting, the result is normally a terrible work or even outright fraud.
- Licenses and certifications as professional organizations are also important. You should check to see that your moving company is well certified before trusting them with your personal properties and items.
- You should always be on alert especially if a company asks or request for you to take make some advanced payment. Granted, advanced payments are sometimes reasonable. However, making huge advanced payments before the work is even done would be a mistake on your part.
- Paying with a credit card is also a good thing as it would help you keep a record of all transactions that have been made. It will also help you if the company denies any payments you have made. Paying with cash would make things all too easy for them.
Companies such as iMoving.com are the best options for you if you are looking for a reputable local moving company that is affordable and competent. Ensure that you are never cheated by any local moving company.
Moving to a new property can be exciting and pulsating. However, things can all go bad if you are not careful. You should ensure that you have a good local moving company. iMoving.com is the perfect place to start. By taking the right step, you would be ensuring that your move to your new home would go very smoothly.