30Years in Business
What are You moving?
How does it work?
Book Your Mover
Movers in New York
When you go with iMoving for your moving needs, you go with a company that facilitates a move from beginning to end. By giving you simple ways to look up the best quotes for New York moving companies, we provide you with the easiest way to schedule your move in just a few easy steps.
Getting a quote for New York movers with iMoving is a simple process. All you need to do is put in the zip codes of where you’re moving from and where you’re headed to. Then, let us know how large your home is in terms of square feet and number of rooms. After you provide that info, our site will aggregate it and put together the 6 best quotes from local or long-distance moving companies in New York State.
We know that getting prepared for a move – whether you’re looking for long-distance New York movers or you’re just moving across town – can be stressful, so iMoving.com is here to take some of the stress off. Whatever iMoving affiliated moving partner that you choose, you can feel confident that they have been researched, checked, and certified by our team. And that’s the confidence you deserve for your move!
Moving Services in New York
There are a lot of needs that can arise when you’re getting ready to schedule a moving company in New York. Long-distance moves are a lot more complex than shorter moves. Business moves need more expertise and care than many residential moves. Individuals have fewer items to keep track of than families do.
If you go with any of our New York movers, you’ll be able to choose from a variety of services that are meant to help make your relocation go smoothly. You can even include them in your iMoving quote process. Here’s a quick look at some of the most common services you may be seeking.
- Local Moves: Are you just moving a few blocks away, or maybe over to the next town? Many of the New York movers that you’ll find offer local moves as one of their services. These moves are often done in one day’s time and they are usually charged by the hour, unlike long-distance moves.
- Long-Distance Moves: Long-distance moves are usually done by companies that specialize in them, due to the immense amount of planning and time that is usually involved in a long-distance move. These moves are usually measured by mileage and/or weight of the items that are being hauled in the moving van.
- Packing and Unpacking: Packing and unpacking services, along with assembly and disassembly services, are additional services that you can pay extra for. Supplies may or may not be included as a part of your packing and unpacking package. You do have to let your New York movers know ahead of time – we include this as an option in the quote search here on iMoving.
- Moving Supplies: Some moving companies will also offer packing kits or packing supplies. These can include boxes, packaging tape, scissors, labels, and even markers and pens. While there are other options for getting boxes and other materials, you may be able to get them at cost or cheaper when you get them directly from the moving company.
- Business Moving Services: Your business has specialized needs, especially if you have an office or a space with a lot of machinery. It’s important to have professionals that have the training and knowledge to take care of those things during every stage of your move. In some cities or states, you can find companies that focus only on business moving services.
- Storage Options: Downsizing during a move or having a delay between your move out date and your move in date can put you in a situation where you need to store some, or all, of your belongings for a period of time. That’s why many moving companies have some sort of storage option available for their clients, allowing them to store their items safely while they are waiting to get them or sell them.
What to Consider Before Hiring a New York Moving Company
So, you’re getting ready to just sign a contract and go. But, before you hire a New York moving company, you want to be sure that you keep a few things in mind. Here are some considerations that you want to explore and think about before you make a commitment to working with particular movers in New York.
Finalizing the Dates of Your Move
Before you sign anything, you want to be sure that you know exactly when you’re moving. By finalizing the dates of your move, you can start to answer questions and be sure that you’re doing as much as possible to make the whole thing just a little easier on yourself. It can also make it a lot easier for you to get the most accurate quote possible, allowing you to stay within the budget you’ve set for yourself.
Look at Multiple Quotes for New York Movers
When you start to look for a moving company, you want to be sure that you are comparing multiple quotes – which is why we’ve made iMoving so easy to work with. You can get all of your quotes at a glance and you don’t have to get onto multiple sites to do so.
Not only do you want to be sure that you’re getting the best price, but you want to know that the company that you’re considering can offer all of the services you may need for your move. Have a mental checklist in your mind when exploring all of the quotes that you get from our site, and you’ll have a much easier time choosing which New York movers are best for your move.
Learn About New York Specific Travel Concerns
New York is more than just the city – but, if you’re near the city, you want to be sure that you understand just how much traffic you’ll be dealing with when you try to move. Cities also have a lot of restrictions about who can park on the street, how long you can be on the street, and if you can park on the sidewalk or in a lawn space. They may also have noise restrictions that you need to be mindful of, just in case you arrive to your new home late at night.
As you get further away from the city and into upstate or western New York, you will find rolling hills, mountains, and lots of beautiful places that you can enjoy while driving through there.
Some of the major highways do still get some immense traffic at certain times of day, so you want to be sure that you’re aware of that when planning your move. You also want to be very aware of winter weather – during the winter months, it’s typical to get several inches of snow at a time, and sometimes several feet if you’re living near Lake Erie or Lake Ontario, so you want to be sure that you consider that sort of delay when scheduling a winter move.
Questions to Ask About Your Potential Moving Company
After you finalize all of the details about your move, you want to be sure that you look at the specific details about the New York moving company that you’re considering. Here are a few questions you may want to consider.
1. Does the mover offer moving insurance?
Moving insurance is a must! Even if you aren’t moving anything especially valuable during your move, it’s valuable to you. You want to be able to replace pricey items if something were to happen to them during your move. See if they offer moving insurance as part of the package and, if not, go to a third party and buy it yourself.
2. How much lead time do they need?
Some New York moving companies will set up a move in just 2 or 3 weeks before it happens, but unless you get an instant offer where you need to get up and go, you want to give them a little more lead time than that. Experts recommend that you start getting everything scheduled with your moving company at least 6 to 8 weeks before you expect to move. In short, as soon as you know when your moving date is going to be, you’re likely going to want to go ahead and schedule your company.
3. Where should I hire my moving company from?
It all depends on your preferences and what you can find in terms of availability. When you go to get quotes from iMoving, we will give you quotes from both zip codes that you provide to us so that you can compare prices and work out the details of your move more effectively. Whether you decide on a New York moving company or one from your current state, you’ll be well taken care of.
4. What do I need to know about my estimate?
There are two types of estimates – binding, and nonbinding. A binding estimate is an estimate that is the exact cost of your move based on whatever factors that the moving company in question uses to make that estimate.
A nonbinding estimate is an estimate based on them coming into your home, taking a look at your belongings, and estimating the weight of those items (in a long-distance move). If you get a nonbinding estimate, they can’t charge you any more than 10 to 15 percent more than that estimate, unless you added items or services after the initial estimate.
5. What animal restrictions are there in New York State?
Companion animals only need a clean bill of health from a veterinarian and up-to-date rabies shots. Companion animals may also include pigs, cows, and horses if they are not intended for farm use or slaughter.
If you have a question or concern about a farm animal or pet, speak with the New York State Department Agriculture and Markets. Concerns related to exotic animals and/or plants can be directed to the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation.
Lastly, if you’re going into New York City with an animal, the NYC Department of Health oversees their own animal restrictions.
How to Reduce Your Moving Costs
We all want to save a little bit of money, especially for something as pricey as a move. Reducing your moving costs is essential, and we have a few tips that you can try in order to ensure that your moving costs are as low as possible.
- Do a purge before you start packing. If you are looking to reduce your moving costs, the best advice we have is to have fewer things that you’re taking with you. We all have items that are never, ever used. Look around your home during the packing process and, if there are items you haven’t used in 6 months, a year, or even longer, it may be time to get rid of them. This even applies to clothing – you may be taking a lot of stuff to the thrift store!
- Get rid of large items that are rarely or never used. Pianos, china cabinets, and other large items add a lot of weight – and therefore, a lot of cost – to your move. Even if you’re doing a local move, you may have to pay extra for the white glove service necessary to move those items to your new home. So, if you aren’t using that armoire anymore, sell it or donate it before you leave your current home.
- Don’t move on weekends, or at the beginning or end of the month. Scheduling your move for the right day is paramount if you’re going to try and save money. The best time to schedule a move is for a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday in the middle of the month. Weekends, and the beginning and end of a month are going to be a lot more expensive due to how many more people request those days for their move.
- Deal with packing/unpacking on your own. Do you have the ability and the time to be able to pack on your own? When saving money is a big factor in making your move happen, you may want to go ahead and pack and unpack your items on your own. You want to weigh the time and effort you’d spend against the money you’d save to figure out whether or not you want to pay extra for packing and unpacking services.
- Talk with your new employer about assisting you with relocation costs. If you want to save money – have someone else pay for it! If the reason for your move is that you’re taking a new job in a new location, see if your employer has any funding to help with your relocation. Otherwise, you may also be able to claim your relocation funds on your taxes.
Time to Get Moving!
New York is a beautiful state, and most people don’t realize that it’s more than just the Big Apple! If you’re heading to any part of New York State, you want to be sure that you get a New York moving company that you can trust.
At iMoving, we provide you with resources so that your move is simple and low-stress. No matter where you’re headed in these great United States, we’re here to help you find the best moving companies and get quotes from them easily. Use our site for your New York moving company search and see just how easy it can be!