So, you’re moving into a new home and you’re trying to get everything worked out. How do you ensure that you get everything done properly?
Having a moving checklist can ensure that you’ve got everything in order and ready to go, both when moving out of your old place and moving into your new one. Here are some of our favorite tips for putting together a great checklist that you can check and double-check before moving day.
What Needs To Be Done Right Now?
So, you know that you’re moving and you know that there are a lot of details that need to be worked out. What sorts of things need to be included in your to-do list at this point in time? Here is a quick list of what you may need to get worked out at this point.
- Find a real estate agent that can help you to sort out the details around selling your current home. You may also be able to work with them to find a new home in your new location.
- Start getting moving boxes together, get packing supplies like bubble wrap, and determine what sort of organizational system that you’re going to want to use in order to pack efficiently.
- Hire your moving truck and moving company ASAP.
- Check out lists of moving tips that can help you to make sense of details and ensure that you’re doing the best that you can in order to keep things organized.
- Start separating items that you don’t use or don’t need from items that you do. This will allow you to sell, donate, or trash the things that aren’t necessary.
What Can Be Done 2 Weeks Before You Move?
Before you move into your new place, you need to be sure that you stay organized so that you have a smart move. Here are some of the things that you want to be sure are ready so that you can move into your new place more easily.
- Be sure that your utilities, credit cards, school records, and other things are all getting forwarded to your new address. You want to be sure that your address change is submitted and ready to go at least 2 weeks before you head out.
- Make sure that you find a place ASAP and that you start signing all of the paperwork as soon as you’re able to do so. This can help you to have a better idea of what you need to know and how much you need to get rid of, if necessary.
- Determine closing costs and make sure inspections, paperwork, and whatever else have been dealt with appropriately.
- Start cleaning, have a moving sale, and (if you can), go to your new place and clean up some there, if necessary.
- Double-check with your movers to make sure that everything is still in place for the moving day that you scheduled with them.
What Should Be Done The Week of Moving Day?
Now that almost everything is packed, it’s a good idea to get the rest of your house deep cleaned as best as you can. You want to scrub all of the floors, ceilings, and walls. Clean out the sink and make sure that your bathrooms are immaculate.
The cleaner that everything in your home is, the easier it will be for you to get everything else done on the day that your movers come.
What Needs to Be Done on Moving Day?
Moving day has finally arrived and your moving company will be here any minute. What do you need to do to ensure that you’re ready to go? Everything should be packed well before the day comes along, and you want to be sure that you keep up with what your movers need.
On that day, you should just need to do the last bits of cleaning after everything is out of the house. Turn off any circuit breakers. Pack up the last cleaning supplies, double-check the house to ensure that nothing has been left behind, and grab the toilet paper that’s left in the bathroom. At that point, you should be ready to go.
What Happens When You Move In?
So, now that you’ve got the travel out of the way, you want to be sure that everything is turned on and that you’re going to be able to deal with utilities and whatever else you need to take care of.
Most of the time, you can talk with the previous owner of the home to see what you may need to do that’s out of the ordinary, or to make sure that all of your ducks are in a row before you move in. And, if you follow the rest of the checklist, all you should need to do is unload and start making your new home your own.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do I have to hire my movers so early?
You want to hire your movers as soon as you have a move-in date because it can save you money and it will guarantee that you’re able to schedule them as easily as possible. It can help you to keep everything in order and ensure that you know what services you’ll be getting as a result.
Can I change my checklist?
Always! It’s meant to be something that changes and morphs as you complete your goals and sort out what it is that you need to accomplish before moving day. You may realize that you’ve forgotten some sort of school records, or that there are utility companies that you forgot to include. The more you sort things out, the better off that you’ll be when moving day finally comes.
Can I separate jobs out?
Absolutely. One of the best ways to ensure that you’re going to get everything done is to make sure that you can delegate things to other people. Your checklist is going to be a great place to do that because you can see everything that needs to be done and divvy everything out so that everyone works together toward a solution.
Having a complete moving into a new house checklist can be super helpful as you work out the necessary details about the next steps and how you want to proceed with the process. Sort it out ahead of time and you’ll be ready for the day that your movers come to assist you.Read More ...