Best Ways to Find Movers in Los Angeles
Los Angeles movers are some of the best movers you will find in the United States. Hence, when you are planning to move into or from Los Angeles, you can be guaranteed that you will get very good and reliable movers who can help you to get the job done in the best way possible. Some of the reputable Loos Angeles movers include Daniel’s Moving and Storage, Shleppers Moving and Storage, Suddath relocation, and West Coast Movers among others.
Tips for Finding Good Los Angeles Movers
One vital tips in finding a good Los Angeles mover is to ensure that you ask enough question in order to ensure that they cover all aspects of your moving needs before signing the dotted lines. Engaging a wrong or bad mover can make your relocation a nightmare as a whole lot of things could go south. Hence, it is important that you do your due diligence and read reviews about the moving company you want to engage before you finalize the deal. Here are some vital tips that will help you find the best local and commercial movers in Los Angeles, California;
- Licensing: Make sure that your chosen moving company is licensed. This is not difficult to know as you can check this up with the United States Department of Transportation. Also, be sure that they meet all regulations as required by the California government law for moving and handling people’s belongings and goods.
- Check on Insurance: A good and reputable moving company is expected to be insured. Hence, you have to check and be sure that your moving company is well-insured as this is required by the California moving law. This will ensure that your goods and belongings are safe in case of any eventuality that may occur in the process of moving from one point to another.
- Request for Quote and Prices: Have your movers to come to your home in order to carry out an on-site survey so that they can have a good idea of what the job entails. It is based on their inspection and survey that they will prepare a quote for you. You can invite more than one mover to your home so that you can have the opportunity to compare and contrast quotes and then you can choose the one with most favorable quote and promises of good service delivery.
- Don’t Engage Companies that Switch Names: Avoid engaging moving companies that are involve in the act of periodical change of name as this is a red flag and you should at all cost avoid engaging such moving companies.
- Get References on Movers: You can also ask friends and families who have moved in the past for their recommendations and experiences they have had with moving companies they have used in the past. You can also check on the website of America Moving and storage Association to get a list of reputable and dependable Los Angeles Movers.
- Online Reviews: One way to cut down the list of moving companies at your disposal, is to read online reviews so that you can filter out those with bad or negative reviews. To read reviews online, you can visit websites such as www.movingfeedback.com, www.movingcomapnyreviews.com, and www.mymovingreviews.com among others.
- Years of Experience: Another thing to consider in engaging a moving company in Los Angeles, California is the number of years that the moving company has been in operation. This will give you an idea of their reliability, and competence as the companies that have been in operation for longer years are more reliable compared with those with just few years of being in operation. Hence, when you are planning to engage a moving company in Los Angeles, always consider their years of experience in the moving business.
- Do Not Sign a Blank Contract: One thing you should avoid when engaging a moving company is to sign a blank contract. Do not try it; make sure you go through all the terms and conditions, and ask questions where necessary before signing the dotted lines. Make sure that all you need to get done is stated and captured in the quotes before you sign. This will save you a whole lot of stress and argument with your moving company.
- Ask Your Movers the Hard Questions: No question is too hard or too small to ask your movers. Do not consider any question as being irrelevant or not important, make sure you ask them every bit of question whenever you notice any grey area or any part of the deal that is not clear to you.
The best moving commercial moving companies in Los Angeles, California should offer the following:
- Valuable years of experience as far as delivering top notch moving services for their customers is concerned.
- An excellent online presence compared to their competitors.
- Well-trained and experienced movers to help you get the job done seamlessly so that you don’t have to bother yourself while you engage in other personal activities.
- Willingness to visit your home to evaluate the size and weight of your belongings or goods in order to provide a free estimate.
- Clearly answer all your questions so that you can fully understand their terms of engagement and contract.
- Provide incentives in form of added services like unloading and packing among others.
- Be polite and conduct themselves in a polite way to their clients.
These are some of the best ways and things to do in engaging a reputable moving company in Los Angeles that will help you have a seamless and hassle-free relocation into and from Los Angeles, California. Another good thing to do is to ensure you start planning ahead of time s that you don’t rush things over and also incur high moving rates.
Planning is important in all things will do and this is not different from when you decide to relocate. You have to plan ahead by taking things one step at a time as a result of this it will be good if you start your planning at least two to three months ahead of your move date.
Finding an apartment is not an easy thing, as you have to sift through a lot of trash, with the aim of getting the right one. It can be likened to kissing a lot of frogs in a bid to get to Prince Charming.
You go around, checking the amenities of the buildings, wishing that one would have everything on your checklist. If it doesn't have a big bathroom, it doesn't have a nice kitchen. This is so bad. You are about to give up. Your parents never told you house shopping was that hard, but things will get better, you tell yourself.
After you have checked a lot of buildings, you have finally stumbled on the right one for you. Hallelujah! The next line of action is to move your things. You groan!
Your mind is racing. How will you start packing your things into moving boxes? How will you muster the strength to do the moving? You wonder.
If only, there was something that you could, a magic trick that would save you the stress.
Moving and searching for an apartment, a lot of persons don't know which one is more stressful. To some, going through the entire searching for house and application process is tougher than the other, and vice versa.
One thing we can all agree on is that once we have found a new apartment that we like, we feel a lot lighter, well, until the moving phase starts.
Packing things is a very annoying aspect of moving to a new apartment because it incorporates you trying your best to remain organized as you sift through your belongings.
For us that have large belongings, this can be a pain in the ass because everything becomes too complicated for our liking.
If you have the intention of moving into a new apartment soon, there are some tricks that one can use to make it less overwhelming. Below are tricks that will keep you organized. One thing is sure; you have to make a moving plan for each room. Why is this important? Look at everything you own now; there are some items that will fit a room, and look out of place in another room. For each room you have, create a moving plan. This way, you can easily move what should be in a room into that room without stress.
Making up a plan for each room is easy by doing the following:
1. Mark Your Calendar
Once you have gotten your application for that new apartment accepted, the next line of action is to choose a date you will move, and have it marked on the calendar. Don't be the one that decides to be spontaneous with the moving. It's common to hear some persons say that they will move whenever they are convinced in their guts. That's definitely the recipe for disaster, as you may end up postponing the date until you are forced to move. At the end of the day, you are confused, and without a moving plan for each room. Look at your schedule for the month, what day will you be free to move? Marking the date on the calendar allows you to see physically the amount of time that is left to plan.
The marked date on the calendar will act as a judge, looking at you until you make that decision to start planning. It will guilt you into making plans. That's the goal for persons that do not fancy planning.
That's not all. Once you have marked the date when you will move, use the days between that date and the current day you are in to start packing. Give each day, a pacing project. Say that you will pack the things in the sitting room today. Tomorrow, you will pack the things in one of the bedrooms, and so on and so forth.
Well, it is important to find out if your future or current apartment complex expects that you tell them about your moving schedule. Set this up quickly, and you will have the best moving date. This also saves you the stress of having to move without a plan.
2. Start Early
Immediately the moving date has been marked on the calendar, the next line of action is to begin those preliminary packing projects.
What do you need to do before the moving date? Remember that the moving date is meant solely for you to put your boxes in a moving truck and leave, and not to start arranging your properties in a box. It is important that you know the difference.
Spend the days between now and the moving date to declutter each room. Go to your bedroom, what things will you keep and what things should you give away. Do the same for other rooms, especially the attic and basement.
Look for movers. This is a very important aspect of moving. If you have movers that are crappy, you will be left with a crappy job. If you get a good mover, they can help organize the moving well. Some movers may even give you some tips. Once you see a mover, tell them what you want for each room. The packing of inessential items that fall into each room should be done. Whatever you do, it is important to write out on the boxes which property will work out for each room. This will allow you to do very little when the moving day comes near.
3. Enlist help
Don't be the one that hates asking for help. You will need help, and that's the truth. Instead of trying to do everything yourself, you should ask for help. Do you have a roommate that will move with you? Ask for his or her help. What of friends and family? Call them up and ask for their help. Once you are done, never forget to appreciate them, even if it is a meal. Don't come off as selfish.
They can aid you to declutter the various rooms and organize them back. They can even bring up ideas in moving, especially if they have moved before.
Tell them what you want for each room. You can have them packing a room, and labeling the boxes, while you work on another room. They can also help you on that moving day. Since they already know the moving plan ahead, it is quite easy for them to know what goes into each room.
4. Declutter and Donate
Don't be the hoarder that can't do away with irrelevant items. Look at the things you have, will you need everything? I doubt that.
Before you begin packing everything, move from one room to the other, and look at the items there. Do you need than painting? What of that old chair? Or old clothes? Look at everything and choose which one you want to get rid of, and which you will save.
Don't do this while you pack up your things because you will be stressed totally. Do it before you back. Once you have made up your mind on what you don't want, toss the remaining ones to charity.
Sort everything that is found in every room, and begin to remove those things that you have no plan of using. Is the item broken? Toss it. Is it unusable? Toss it. Is it stained and will take a lot of cleaning? Simply toss it.
Is it looking awesome but you have no use for it, why not donate it? If you have not used an object for long months, there is a great chance that you don't need it.
If you had forgotten that you once possessed this item, you should consider tossing it, as you most likely do not need it. This allows you to pack only a few things.
5. Figure Out What You Need
Now that you have looked at everything you have, it allows you to know how many moving boxes will be needed to move the things in a room. It also permits you to know which moving supplies that you may need to get things out if each room.
Ensure that every room gets the necessary moving bins or boxes that will carry everything that you have decided to keep in each room. What amount of printing paper will each room need? What of the packing paper? If you had not taken a tour of your house, it wouldn't have been finding out this information.
Go and find out from your local liquor store or grocery stores, if they have additional boxes that can easily be used to help reduce how much you will spend on moving boxes.
If a room has a lot of breakables, it is only wise that you get bubble wrap for the room to ensure that everything there is safe.
6. Create a Packing List
Here, we are not asking you to create a list of every item that you possess. No, what we are asking you is to make a list of the important items that you use a lot. Go to each room, what items there will you need a lot? Making the list allows you to know what and what are important in every room. This way, you can easily search for the items once they are moved to the new apartment. You already know where they are, so putting them in their new positions will be easier
It won't be a bad idea to try making the list of those items that you may need immediately at that new apartment you are moving to. It could be the bed sheets, important bathroom supplies, and even kitchen utensils. Immediately you get to an apartment; you may need to use the toilet or whip something up in the kitchen. This is why writing the packing list for each room is important.
7. Pack Like You’re Going on Vacation
It is important that you pack those important things that you may need, packed in a way that you can access them easily. Those big items that you will also need should be packed in such a way.
When you are packing your suitcase, do it in such a way that you would pack for a holiday. Usually, when we pack for a holiday, we do it in such a way to ensure that we won't need to pull out all the clothes in our box when we need something urgent there. Pack those items that you will need on top.
Do the same for your bathroom boxes. It is important to know that if you pack your toothbrush beneath every other bathroom appliance, you may suffer for it. You know that you will need your toothbrush, put it on top of others. This will save you the hassles.
8. Organize Items for the New Apartment, Not the Current One
Packing room by room is very important, but what you should know is how the setting of your new place is. Does it rhyme with your old place? If it does, you can pack room by room, without batting an eyelid.
Look at the rooms that you have in your brand new house, and have your properties organized to fit those new rooms. This will make unpacking quite easy without stress. When you pack a box for every room, you tend to save yourself from any stress.
You can take it up a notch by snapping photos of every item that is entering a box. Once you try to look for those items in your new apartment, you can merely look at your phone gallery, and see which box has the properties that you are seeking.
9. Make Use of Easily Wasted Space
One thing that you should note is that you will have some spaces that won't be used. Since you will end up using bags and suitcases, you may have space in your furniture. You can use them as the extra storage space, but you should not make them very heavy to carry them. Ensure that what you decide to carry shouldn't damage the furniture.
Finally, you have gotten a new apartment after all the stress. Now, you are wondering how you will move. Out of every moving phase, one of the most important parts is the mover. If you have a crappy mover, you may have a crappy moving job in your hands. This is why it is of great importance that you look for a good mover. How can you tell a professional from a scam? When you get the moving company, you have to be rest assured that they will do the right job. This is why it is advisable to run a background check on the moving company. How good are they? Have they had clients that complained? Have prior clients complained about things getting missing? It is important to know that the mover you use will have access to you, your properties, and your new home.
Below are tips that you should follow to get good movers and not scams.
1. Large Down Payment
Usually, a lot of legitimate movers only request that you make a bit of a down payment before the job is done. They do not ask for everything to be paid before they move your things.
After asking for small down payment before they start the job, they expect that you make the rest payment on delivery, immediately they are done with the job.
This allows the firm to be held liable for ensuring that your properties get to their destination quickly and in a safe manner.
If you see a moving company that requests that you make a large down payment, you should consider taking your business elsewhere because that screams of scam.
Once they get the entire sum before movement, what will make them come over on the D-day and move you?
2. Cash-Only Payments
One thing you should know is that if you made a cash payment, you tend to get a higher value for your cash, but once you notice that it is only cash payments that the movers accept, you should be careful. If they don't accept anything else, apart from cash, you should run to the hills. It is advisable that you opt for credit card payments because it leaves a paper trail. If you have some disputes, how can you prove that you made payments if you opted for cash? The paper trail of a credit card can act as proof.
One can tell a legitimate mover from those that are scams by looking at how many payment forms that they have. If they don't have more than one, you should consider taking your business elsewhere. Ask them if they accept credit payments, as a legitimate one should. After that, you can decide to use such a payment form or cash.
3. Extremely Low Rates
A company that asks for a large down payment should leave you suspicious; the same can be said for very low rates. If you notice that the rates are too low, your red flag meter should start waving.
One thing you should know is that moving is not a job that is done for a very affordable price. No one can do that, that's the basic truth. One thing you should note is that moving is not affordable, and once you find something like that, there is a great chance that it is a scam.
The moving firm has vehicles to take care of and fuel; it also has employees that it has to pay and so on.
Whatever estimates a moving company gives you should be compared with different estimates from another firm. How does it look like? Are the estimates too cheap for now? One thing you should know is that scams will give you a very cheap estimate at first, then on the moving day, they tell you that the rates have increased because of one flimsy reason or the other. At that moment, they know that finding a moving company will be almost impossible for you.
4. No Logo
It won't be a bad idea to look at their moving trucks. If you can, please do. See what kind of moving trucks they use. Are their logos on the trucks? Do the trucks look good or seem like things that came out of a freak show? These things should be considered. If you can't see the trucks, you can ask around. Who has used the moving company before? Did they use a marked moving truck or not?
If you notice that your moving company comes on the D-day with a truck that is not marked with their logo, or a rental truck, you should become suspicious.
Every legitimate mover embeds their logo on their moving truck, and that's the basic truth. Many of these movers use a rolling billboard to advertise their firm, while they get paid to move your properties around. If you notice that your moving company doesn't have a logo on the truck, and you can't see their phone number on it, there is a great chance that it can't be termed a legitimate one.
5. No Address or Office
A lot of companies, especially the movers, have running and updated websites. Their online presence can give you a hint if the company is legitimate or not. The internet is a perfect place to find scams. Sometimes, it is advised that before you use a product or service, you search the internet to see how legitimate it is. You can start by searching the name of the product or company and put 'scam' on it. There is a great chance that you will get hits if the company is a scam. Look at the moving company's website. How does it look like? Did you notice reviews? How genuine do they look? Do some companies fake their reviews? Do they have similar wording?
Does the website have an address of the mover written there? Is the address just a city or a P.O. box? Whatever moving company that you opt for should have an address.
Once you see the address, it is important to find out if it is genuine. You can track out if an address is really a building that houses companies or merely an empty lot. Find out yourself if you don't want to be scammed or be offered crappy services.
6. No Bill of Lading
Every legitimate mover will ask to sign a contract with you. Immediately you agree to use them; they will expect that you append your signature on their contract, this is usually called a Bill of Lading (BOL).
What the bill of lading contains are things like estimated price, delivery date, as well as the needed supplies. Whatever BOL that you append your signature on should have words that specify that you won't have to make extra payments like driver's fee or compulsory tip. What you agreed on should be what is paid. This should be written on the contract.
The BOL shouldn't be ignored because it ensures that both your properties and interests should be protected. You don't want your properties missing.
7. Many Extreme Reviews
Look at the reviews of the company, how are they like? Before you hire any moving company, you have to look at their reviews? Are they commendable or scary? If you notice that they have amassed a lot of negative reviews, you should consider running to the hills. This most likely means that their services are nothing to write home about and should be avoided.
If you notice that every review there seems too positive, then there is a great chance that the reviews were faked.
Look at the reviews that were written concerning a moving company on a popular review site before you make that decision.
A great way to see if a company is legitimate or a scam is to see if they have been certified as a ProMover at American Moving & Storage Association (AMSA).
This program was created in a bid to find scam movers while telling clients what movers are professional and reputable.
If you can't find your moving company there, then you know what to do, run for your life.
8. Scheduling Trouble
If you notice that the movers keep postponing the move, then you should become very suspicious. Sometimes, change of schedule may occur, but it should only be once. Once it becomes more than one, you should consider running to the hills, when the scheduling changes become a lot, there is a high tendency that it is a scam. Try and look for another mover.
If you wait for this moving company, you may notice that in the end, you will be frustrated. One thing we advise people to do is never tolerate tardiness that occurs more than once because you may end up paying for it. This is why when you sign a contract, you look at the conditions attached to it. Are there any hints that you can't back out of the contract as long as you give them the necessary notification? If there are, this may affect you later when you notice that they are tardy. At that moment, you won't be able to do without them because you agreed to unfavorable terms. Whatever contract you sign should have the terms that are beneficial to you.
9. Lax Phone Etiquette
When you call them on the phone, how do they sound? Do they sound like they are bored and irritated by your call? Do they sound professional? Once you call them, what do they say? Do they state the name of the moving company? If you call a cross country moving company, and they answer with 'movers,' or 'hello,' you may be onto a rogue mover. Are they nice? Or rude? No matter how nice they are, and there is no level of professionalism in the way that they interact with you, they are most likely a scam.
Call them on the phone and listen to their tone. What did you notice about the interactions? Are they too playful? Too serious?
One thing you should note that is if they are either too playful or too serious, then there is a problem. They should be friendly and professional at the same time.
Try to hear what's happening at the background while the conversation is ongoing. Is the person on the other end, shushing someone close to him? Can you hear kids playing about? What of screaming? It is quite easy to find out if someone is a scam or not by listening. Sometimes, the signs may be there, but since you are not alert, you may not notice them.
This saves you from falling into the arms of a scam.
10. No On-Site Quote
A lot of moving firms are known to send their representative to your home before they come up with an estimate. This is done because the moving prices usually are not dependent on solely the distance between the old house and the new one. It also encompasses the number of properties you have, and how much they weigh.
A lot of homeowners usually possess more properties than they may have thought. A professional representative looks at the house and tries to draft a quote that is dependent on the estimated weight.
If you get a mover and they don't come to see what you have in your apartment, your red flag meter should be moving. A good mover must come to your house to look at what you have, and make estimates from there.
Why is this important? If they don't come to see what you have, they may end up giving an estimate that's not realistic.
You may be moving to a new state after retirement, to take up a new job, to be closer to your family, or to seek medical attention or family circumstances. Once you have made up your mind to leave, you are expected to have a busy schedule during the months or weeks of preparation, whether you believe the change is good for you or not. If moving to a new place can be hectic, imagine moving to a new state. It can be one of the daunting periods in our lives, and it’s our approach and preparation towards it that will determine whether we finish it with the best results or a series of headaches.
First of all, it is important to note that moving to a new state is a matter which can go positive with the needed preparation or go sour in the process. This is true due to many reasons. One of such reasons is that you are moving to somewhere completely different. It is not in the locality or in that same state. Moving would probably take you to a state that has different laws, beliefs, and people. It is therefore only normal that you set for yourself a checklist which would help you to prepare adequately for the move.
Thankfully, here are some tips to consider when making this life-changing decision without losing your mind:
1. Research ahead of time
Moving is not something that one wakes up in the morning and undertakes. It needs a series of careful research and planning. Ensure you research about almost everything:
- The weather condition: Research about the weather condition in that area, especially when you or a family member is easily susceptible to abrupt weather changes. Does it get too cold? Does it get too hot? Does the weather change abruptly? What pieces of clothing would I need at those times?
It goes a long way in helping you adapt, so you don’t get caught off by surprise.
- New school for the kids: research about good schools in the area that your kids can attend, whose cost of education is affordable. Also, check the walking distance from your intended home to the school to aid you especially when they’ll need their transport fare
- Cost of living: Even though your workplace may be around that area, ensure that you research the cost of living. Is the cost of food expensive? What of fuel and other utilities? Are the costs one that would not cripple your income? If it is, you can find other alternative locations or ask for a salary raise.
- Job opportunities for your spouse: If a job transfer for one means the loss of job for another, it’s essential you get on right away with looking for another job around the area for your spouse, no matter how small, till he/she stands on his feet. This way, it will relieve a bit of the financial burden. Drop in his/her CV, make calls and send letters! You never know what opportunities are lurking around.
Also, suggestions for restaurants, local businesses, places of worship, recreational centers and other places can be found on the internet. It’s just a click away.
2. Visit your new state and find a home
It's very advisable to visit your new state at least once to have a feel of what staying there entails. You can also use this time to verify the things and places you researched on the internet. Also, ideally, you would want to find a place before making preparations. Most times our wealth of knowledge is limited to certain areas, so it is safer to hire a realtor to explain the rudiments of buying a house. Hiring one is essential as they are already familiar with the marketplace and will help guide you through the house hunting process. This will prevent you from hopping from one place to another and streamlines your options. Ensure you get quotations from two or more dealers to weigh their prices and make the best choice
3. Plan, plan, plan!
Nothing in life ever succeeds without a plan. It's highly essential that you draft a plan as moving to another state would not be cheap. Start with how much you are willing to spend on the move, then carefully outline the different expenses – cost of acquiring a new home, school fees, hiring trucks and the different payments you may have to make – you can also find out if your employer is willing to cover part of the moving costs for you
4. Research moving companies
Do adequate research on companies that move properties between states. Ensure that they are honest, trustworthy and reliable. It is strongly recommended that you get quotations from three or more different moving companies and weigh their prices. An ideal moving company should perform an inspection of your properties either directly or through a video before quoting a price. If the company gives you a quotation over the internet without inspecting your properties or an unrealistic one, it’s much better to avoid those companies for your safety and that of your family.
There are also other cheaper and safer alternatives that you could consider. For instance, you can rent a portable moving container, those that act as temporary storage containers. Another alternative is to rent a big moving truck and drive it yourself or get a friend to help. You can also rent those large freight moving trailers. These trucks are easy to come by and are a big means of saving money. Remember, you are on a budget. However, you should always stick to getting a moving company to do the hard work for you. They know their way around, and they were trained specifically for these kinds of jobs. Thus, they are your best bet when moving.
If you are looking for a way to get a reliable one and the internet throws nothing at you, you can also try getting some good reviews from your friends or family who have been on the move in recent times. You can be assured that you would get just the right one for you.
5. Time to throw out the non-essentials
This is very important especially when your new home is smaller than the previous. Decide whether those items that are not being used or not used often are to be discarded or given out to charity. This helps you to de-clutter and pack only things that will be essential. You’d always have another opportunity to get a new one.
6. Map out a strategic parking plan
Now the work begins! This is not about waking up one morning and throwing your stuff in a box. You need a proper plan to aid you in the packing process as it is very easy to get distracted and disorganized and have it handy throughout your packing period.
7. Gather all records
one thing which has the benefit of telling your life and what you have done for a particular period are your records. Therefore, you should ensure that you have everything well documented and packed. From your tax payment receipts, driver’s license, house rent receipts (if you stay in an estate), employers’ letter to the receipts of your appliances and furniture payments, ensure that ALL records into a sealed box or pack for easy identification in case of emergencies.
It is also important to note that you would also be in a new state with your physician. It would be a good thing especially to get your medical records from your doctor to keep your new physician aware of all medical conditions that you are currently going through. You can always get one by registering in a hospital in your new state.
8. Pack, pack, pack! - Time for Work!
- It is highly recommended that you pack the non-essentials, the items that you use once in a year, once in three months or occasionally, like books, electronics, home décor, costumes, etc. and pack the important things, the ones you use every day or week, like your kitchenware, utensils, dinnerware, toiletries, etc. last. Ensure that you pack all the essentials in clearly labeled boxes.
- Except you have a deadline to meet, ensure you pack room by room, advisably one day at a time. This will give you more time to sort out the items carefully and decide the ones that will be discarded.
- It’s important that you use moving boxes because those boxes tend to be stronger especially for an interstate move. It also prevents liquid from spilling on the surface and staining those who are carrying it.
- Also be very cautious of things you cannot pack because of the risk and harmful effects, like aerosol, fertilizer, lighter fluid, bleach, ammonia, nail polish remover, paint cans, any type of gas or flammable oil, ammunition, pesticides, poisons, etc. Do well to make a separate arrangement if they are going to be necessary for your new home.
- Ensure that you do not box up your valuables. Personally package your legal documents, important papers, expensive pieces of jewelry and other values to avoid cases or theft or misplaced boxes.
- No matter how exhausting and tiring it may seem, do not procrastinate. Start packing your box several weeks before your moving day, especially if you are doing it alone. If you work at your own pace, you will be gradually become organized, and the work may not be as daunting as it looks. The sooner you get started, the sooner you start living your life in your new home.
9. Inform others that you’re moving out
Friends for a lifetime! Inform your close friends and family members that you are moving out, and also give them the address of your current workplace and home to stay in touch. Who knows? Your friends might even organize a sendoff party in your honor amidst tears and hugs. Can someone please grab a tissue?
10. Other Important Issues
There are many other things which you would have to fix and get prepared for during this period. One of them would have to do with changing your address. There are valid reasons as to why you should do it on time. One of these reasons is that emails come in every day and could contain very important information. If your address remains unchanged to your old house, you might miss your mail, or it might be delayed for a very long time. This could see you miss important events and opportunities in your life.
You can easily change your address using the USPS in your state some days before you move. It is also very important that you cancel all the services or memberships which you might have made for that month. These could include memberships at school, in a club and so much more. It should only be allowed to stay if you have a way of continuing it from your new state (that would be very unlikely though!) to avoid more costs, you should ensure that you change the utility setting. The utilities in your former house would still be under you. It is important that you transfer the utilities so that you do not have to double pay in your first month at least. This would ensure that you do not incur unnecessary costs. This can easily be done by contacting the companies who are in charge of your utilities in the state. You should have it settled in less than no time.
Here you have it! Moving to a new state can be amazing. Ensure that you have your local moving company ready to move your things for you before you leave. This would ensure that you are all ready and set up in your new home as soon as possible. It would be really fun!
Moving into a new home can be as exciting as it is overwhelming. This is because as exciting as the prospect of moving into a new house is, the process of moving can be very stressful and confusing. Sometimes, the excitement might be so much that you eventually fail to pay attention to so many details concerning the move. The consequence of this can be very dire – turning your initial excitement to anxiety and stress.
In order to avoid this situation, there are so many questions you should ask yourself before moving.
Here we are going to walk you through the most important questions to ask, and how you can decide on their answers.
Question 1: Is this the right period to make a move?
Before taking the leap and setting a time and day to move out of your house, you need to ask yourself if it is the right period to move. People move into new houses for a number of reasons. It could be to be closer to their new jobs, to experience a new environment, to be closer to their loved ones, because the house became too small, too big and so on. There can be a number of reasons to make the move but the major concern should be if you are choosing a good time to do so.
For example, your reason for moving could be because your current house has become too small for your items, but then you have to ensure you have enough money to afford a new home at that point in time. Enough money in this context isn’t just money to pay for the home but after paying for the home, will you have enough left to furnish the home, stock up your fridge, pay for your gas and so on. If every factor concerning the move is in place, then you can go ahead with your move but if there is something amiss, then you have to make certain it would not affect your move first.
Question 2: Do I have enough money to move out
Moving out of your current home and into a new one depends largely on your finances. It is almost impossible for you to move out without enough money. When it comes to moving, there are some costs which can be considered to be luxury. These costs are for items or services which you can do without but you choose to pay for, for the extra benefits. Apart from these luxury costs, there are also unavoidable costs which are essential for a move to take place. When planning a move, you need to ensure you are financially capable to afford the unavoidable costs. These unavoidable costs include rent payment for your new place, payment for the moving company you will be hiring and so on. In order to ensure you are financially set to make a move, it is advisable that you carry out a research and make a budget. Making a budget can help you decide if you truly are ready for a move.
Question 3: Can I carry out a move on my own?
This is a question that crosses the mind of everyone moving out of their current home and into a new one. While the thought might be very tempting when you consider your finances, it’s not always the best option. With this question comes a number of other questions which can finally help you come to a conclusion on whether to go ahead with a self-executed move, or not.
When considering moving on your own, you need to ask yourself “is it a short distance move?” If your new home is just a few blocks away from your current one, then it might be possible for you to move yourself. Moving to another town or city on the other hand, can be quite tricky. You also need to gauge how much load you need to carry. If asides your clothes, shoes and kitchen utensils, you also have to move furniture and electronics such as refrigerators and air conditioners, moving out on your own might not be the best option.
You also need to ask yourself if you have enough help from friends and family required to help you successfully make the move. If you have tons of friends with experience in move-in who also own pickup trucks, then it might be possible to execute a move without professional help.
Question 4: Should I hire a moving company?
Hiring a moving company to carry out your move is always the better option when compared to moving yourself. This is because moving companies have all the equipment needed to make your move easier and faster. Moving companies also have the experience needed to make a move convenient for you.
Moving to a new place, no matter how exciting the prospect is, can be overwhelming. When you put your move in the hands of skilled professionals to carry out, it gives you an opportunity to focus on other details of your move such as settling into the new place and even furnishing it. Also with moving companies, instead of cramming all of your belongings into a tight space in the back of your car, moving companies arrange each item properly to ensure that they are safe all through the move.
In order to have a pleasant experience with a moving company, it is important that you find a very good and reliable moving company. When you weigh the benefits of hiring a moving company compared to moving on your own, the chances are you will choose the moving company.
Question 5: How convenient will this new location be for me?
Before carrying out a move, it is very important that you determine how convenient your new location would be for you. You need to ensure that this new location you will be moving to offers you a comfortable lifestyle. If you quit your job to make the move, you need to ensure that the new location you would be moving to will present you with more job opportunities. If you retain your job through your move, then you need to ensure that getting to your work place from your new location will not be problematic.
When considering moving to a new place, you need to check how secure the area is as the last thing you want when adjusting to a new place is to experience security issues. You can also pay attention to how close the place is to grocery stores, pharmacies, banks and so on. Settling into a new location can be difficult but the more convenient it is, the better it would be for you.
Question 6: Is it the best time of the year to move?
Based on the specific area you would be moving to, the price for rent often fluctuates. In some areas, rent prices increase during winter as it is the holiday season and home owners are aware the customer rate would go up. In order places, rent prices spike up in summer and so on. When planning to make a move, make sure you carry out a research on the area you would be moving to and what time of the year renting out a place would be more affordable.
Also moving prices can spike up based on the seasons. During the snow, prices are often higher as the snow adds a little extra difficulty to the moving process. If the move isn’t an urgent one, you can also schedule it for a time of the year when the moving charges are lesser.
Question 7: Am I emotionally ready for a move?
Making a move from one place to another isn’t only about the technical aspects. Even when it’s a simple move from one neighborhood to another, you need to be certain that you are mentally and emotionally prepared to make the move, especially if you aren’t making the move because you want to, but because you have to.
Often times when living in a particular neighborhood, you must have made friends, gotten accustomed to moving around the area, enrolled in a gym close by, created memories all over your home and so on. This can make leaving that area and moving to a new one a bit tough. Before making a move, you need to ensure that you are mentally prepared. Although chances are that even with mental preparation, you still will miss your current home, it makes it easier. Without an emotional readiness to make the move, adjusting to the new place might take much longer than you plan and this might slow your progress.
Question 8: Do I have friends and family in this new place?
Though this question isn’t compulsory it is still important to ask. Especially if you are used to relying on friends and family in your current location. For example, if you have kids and you often leave them over at your neighbors place when you have to go to the grocery store then you need to ask yourself this question. Also if you are used to having a Friday night watching movies at your friend’s place, then you need to be prepared to make new plans for your Fridays in your new location.
Living close to friends and family can make your life much easier in so many ways. If your new location has no friend or family already residing there, then you need to decide if you are prepared to make the switch. When making this decision though, you can also bear in mind that with time you can make new friends in this new location.
Question 9: What activities should I carry out before moving day?
This is a very important question to ask. Moving is a process and it does not just happen at once. It takes preparation before the moving day for it to be as smooth as possible. Months or weeks before your moving day, it is important that you start making preparations.
Before the day of the move, research moving companies, compare them and decide on which would be the best option for you. When you make the decision, reach out to a moving company, talk about the price and other details of the move. Afterwards, start packing. You can give your current landlord a notice of the move, tell your neighbors about the move if necessary, sign out of your gym class, hire a waste removal company, and so on. The period before your move is not a time to kick back and relax. Instead it is the time to work the details of your move. If you begin early enough, you can avoid experiencing stress and anxiety with the process. In order to be in total control of the situation, you can make a comprehensive checklist.
Question 10: Should I have a backup plan?
With every endeavor in life, it is important to have a backup plan. Moving to a new location is taking a leap into a change in your life. For something as important as this, it is definitely important for you to have a backup plan. A backup plan in this context mostly involve finances.
Moving homes is a situation which can bring about lukewarm feelings for some reasons. For one thing, moving homes is like going on a new adventure with everything that you own. It can be quite exciting. However, on the other hand, it can also be very scary to think about. There is just so much that you would have to fix or do during this period. One of such things is moving.
Moving would require taking your things over to another property. This would mean carrying heavy objects across your floors into the truck or van outside. One area of your house which could suffer much damage when you are trying to move is your floors. Now the damage of floors can affect you in both ways. For example, floors in your previous home can get scratched or dented in the process of moving on. This would cost a lot including your security payment which would have made earlier. It could also affect your new home as moving to it would require carrying heavy loads through the floors.
There are many important reasons why damaged floors should always be avoided. Here are some of those reasons;
- More spending: damaged floors would not fix themselves. To have them fixed, you would probably need to spend more than you bargained for initially. This would put a strain on your budget and your new move.
- It could also delay your movement as the floors could turn out to be too badly damaged to be used.
- It would also increase the stress levels you already have. After all, moving from one place to another is a lot of work.
When all this is taken into perspective, it becomes important to consider several ways in which floors can be protected when you are trying to move your things to a new location. Here are some tips which would surely help;
Lighter Items Help
When moving, it is always important to remember that dragging your heavy items across the floor is a sure way to make your floors get damaged very quickly. This is because most floors are very delicate and fragile. Dragging your heavy items on it can feel a lasting mark on the floors. Such damages could include dents on wooden floors or the breakage of tiles if you prefer to tile your home. If you want to keep the floors intact, then, the first thing you can do is to ensure that you reduce the heavy things which you drag on your floors. You can do this by carrying items on your arm when you can. These may even include furniture which is light but can have edges which can damage the floors when they are dragged on it.
You should always keep in mind that your floor would always suffer less if the heavy loads are kept out of direct contact with your floor at all times. For the much heavier load, you can always get someone to lift it off the floor with you. This would ensure that the floors are always protected from damage.
Safety comes first
If you want to avoid damage to your floors, the best principle to follow is to be safe first. Safety goes in a lot when you have to pack your items together in general. Following safety tips would help you to avoid damage to your floors. Here are some of those tips;
- If you are dealing with chairs, tables and other forms of furniture, you can ensure that you stay safe by tying or wrapping their legs in a material that covers them completely. For example, you can try to do this with a blanket. This would come in handy in the event of a situation where such a piece of heavy furniture mistakenly falls to the floor when it is being moved out.
- When packing things, it is always a better idea to make use of cardboard boxes to pack. However, it should not just be any cardboard. Ensure that the box which you have chosen would have the power to hold the load or weight they are carrying. The truth is that the biggest cause of damage when moving is the dropping of load unintentionally on the floor. Getting the right cardboard box would help you avoid all of that.
- You should also ensure that the boxes which you have chosen are taped as much as possible. This would prevent it from getting damaged easily.
- It is always better to check the normal standard weight when you are packing. This is usually about 20 pounds for every box which you are carrying.
Your Heavy Furniture may need to be measured
Another thing which would surely make a difference when you are packing to a new destination is measuring your furniture. There are many reasons why it is necessary that you do this. One such reason is that you would be able to know what load can successfully fit into your new location. The other reason is that it would help you to avoid further damage to your floors and previous room. For example, not measuring your furniture would leave you open to the chances of that furniture not being able to pass a door. What you would thus cause for yourself in the process would be scratches or dents on the door and so many other places. The worst case scenario would see the heavy furniture fall to the ground in a heap. This would cause your floors and other fragile items in your home to get damaged.
It is therefore important to know the sizes of your bigger furniture and other items which you intend to move. If this seems a bit hard to figure out, then getting a local moving company to do this for you would be the perfect start. They have a much better experience dealing with issues like this and would take steps to ensure that you move everything that you own with any damage done to the floor. A great example of a local moving company would be iMoving.com. They are known for their perfectionistic attitude towards any job that they get.
Another way to guard your floors when you are in the process of moving would be getting a furniture slider. Furniture sliders simply refer to a piece which is made from plastic. It is bounded by rubbers which are hard. What this achieves for you is that it eliminates or reduces the friction which dragging furniture around would cause you.
While moving, you are surely going to moving a lot of things around. From huge furniture to even appliances, you would need all the help that you can get. Getting a furniture slider to do the trick for you would be amazing. A furniture slider can be operated by simply ensuring that the furniture slider is placed under the leg area of the item which you intend to move. Once this has been done effectively, you would be able to move your heavy furniture from where it was to where it would be taken to the new home. It would almost be like your item was on a pair of ski!
It is also important to note that while your budget may not give you the necessary funds to get a furniture slider from the local store, you can always create one from home or create an alternative. You can be pretty sure that you would find this reassuring.
Getting a Dolly
Using wheels to move things has been in existence almost since airplanes were made. This innovation is one of the best things that has happened to humans in such a long time. This innovation would also definitely come into play when you are packing. Moving your items using wheels would be a good way to ensure that you do not have direct contact with the floor. To make sure that the wheels which you are using have no negative effect on the floors, it would also be better to get a dolly.
If you plan on using a dolly, there are some options which are opened to you. One of them is getting an appliance dolly. That would most likely use two wheels; you would also get the opportunity to use a furniture dolly instead. This is usually pushed on four wheels. Four wheels would go a long way to ensuring that your item has all the stability and balance that it should have.
If you are looking to get a dolly, most of them can be rented for a particular fee, or you can simply just purchase your very own. It is important to note that the tires of the dolly should be made of soft rubber. Anything hard has a chance of hurting the ground. You should always check for how clean they look to avoid stains on your floors.
Doormats are useful
Moving to a new property can take place at any point in time. It is therefore essential that you get yourself prepared for anything. For example, you could decide that it is time to move during the snow or when it is raining. If you are in this situation where the weather in your area is not quite favourable, you would realize that your acquisition of doormats would be of assistance. It is all too easy for you to carry stains and dirt from outside into your house especially during the process of packing. There is just so much back and forth that it would hard to keep account of how you work.
If this is the situation that you are faced with, then you should make sure that you have doormats available. The bigger, the better when you are faced with this situation. Ensure that you have at least one doormat at the entrance of your house and another one right after the door has been opened. They should be enough to ensure that everyone legs and shoes get dusted off before they enter into the house. Another benefit of this is the reduction of accidents. When a floor becomes watery for example, the tendency for people to slip and fall to the ground heavily is increased ten-fold. Doormats would also help to keep other things out such as the dust.
Blankets and Rugs
To ensure that your floors are well protected during a transition, you can keep them covered using an old blanket or rug. This always turns out to be excellent protection for your floor as they would not feel the full impact of any fall on them. It would also help you avoid the stains which may affect your floors in the long run. Damages such as dents and scratches would also be avoided due to the presence of the old blankets and rugs.
Another reason why you should use your old blankets and rugs effectively is that you would probably not need them in your new home. Using them to achieve your grand purpose would be so much better than keep your life cluttered in your new home. It would surely help you to simplify your life.
Moving from one place to another is a lot of work which can take a toll on you. Fortunately for us, we have professionals who are skilled at moving items for us. Such companies like iMoving.com make sure your floors are well protected by using protective materials to protect the weaker items in your home. Such things would include lamps, mirrors and so much more.
Moving day can be very special to the heart. It could be the day you finally achieve your long-term goal of having your own house. Keep it that memorable by ensuring that your floors are always well protected. That is the only way to keep on smiling for a long time to come!
You finally did it! You got your new house or property, and everything seems to be moving just as you planned. You negotiate the prices of your new property and settle all the expenses that come with it. You are ready to move. All that remain is just MOVING. Does this sound familiar? It probably does! Every year, thousands of people are on the move from one place to another. Some of these relocations may even include leaving the country for somewhere else while others could simply mean that you are to move locally.
If you are all set to move locally, then you would no doubt be looking for ways to get your stuff over to your new place. For most people, the perfect thing to do is to get the right professionals to do the job-local movers!
Sounds easy right? However, it is not that easy. While we know that we need local movers, we also know that to get the right local movers could prove to be a challenge indeed. That is why we have made this article to guide you on the steps and things you would need to be on the lookout for when you are hiring local movers. Ready to see some of them?
Here is your complete guide to hiring local movers
The Question of Do it yourself
For most people who are looking to move and are considering local movers, one of the first things you would have to ask yourself if it is worth it. Do you need to get a local mover? While this may be a tad confusing to you, it can easily be answered by asking yourself some important questions. This would normally include;
- Who would help you move? While the thought of saving money can be tempting, thinking about the individuals who would help you move should be on your mind. There would most likely be a lot of things which you are going to have to move from one place to another. These things could also be quite heavy too. Therefore, before you make up your mind to do it before you, make sure you always trustworthy and reliable people or friends who are willing to do the heavy lifting for you. If you do not, you would probably be left stranded.
- How much experience do you have? While moving may look as simple as really moving thing, it calls for a lot of experience. For example, there would be the danger of damaging some items permanently on your way to your new home. You have to ask yourself if you have the experience within you to get this job done with precision and accuracy. If you do not, it would be better to contact a local moving company.
- How much driving do you know? Because there are so many things that have to be moved, you might have to drive a van to get your load over to your destination. Having experience driving a van helps as it would reduce the likelihood of an accident on the road. If you do not have experience, it would always be better to leave this job for the professionals to handle
Finding Local Movers
If you have established without a doubt that you are going to need local movers, then the next step would no doubt to find where they are. You should ensure that you try to nail down a moving company as soon as you can. This should be done if you do not want unnecessary time wasting for your items that need to be transported.
However, you would have to find local movers who you can trust to move your personal stuff to your new home. While looking for the suitable one, here are some things which you should very consider;
- Customer review: one of the best way to get the best of the very best local movers these days is through customer reviews. Customer reviews would help you to know just how efficient and good their services are. To get a customer review, you must not go online even though that is a very good option. You can get them from your friends and other people you know who have gone through the same process of moving things. They would be able to tell you which of the local movers are good and which of them are bad. You can also, however, complete your research through the internet.
- Reputation: When looking for local movers, another way to locate them is through their reputation. Many local movers who have shown their good work through the years are well known and are rated very highly. If you are ever in doubt as to the local movers which you should move, you can always fix up an appointment with one of these companies. They would be delighted to help you in any way that they can.
- Skilled Professionals: if you are ever in doubt as to the expertise of a local moving company, you should ensure that you check the certifications and the skills which their staff have. Knowing this would help either reassure you that you are on the right track or give you a sense of danger that the path you are treading is quite dangerous. In the end, it is at your discretion to choose the local mover of your preference.
- Price: another thing which might come into play is the price of a local mover. If you are under a strict budget, it would be better to look for cheap movers which would be discussed below. You can also find out what their price would be by asking for price estimates when you contact them. This would ensure that you do not end up wasting your time. It is important to note that inspection by the local movers of your house remains the best choice when looking for price estimations.
Looking for cheap movers?
Like earlier stated, if you are on the lookout for cheap movers probably due to your budget, then you cannot just settle for any local moving company. However, it is important to note that while getting a cheap local moving company would be amazing, it should not overweight the importance of getting a quality one. For example, imagine that you a local mover who is quite cheap and affordable. You make the necessary payments, and they do a terrible job at it. Your items are damaged or thrown off the van on the way due to reckless driving. You would have lost everything while trying to go for something cheap!
However, going for cheap local movers that do a good job is also very possible. To get this right, here are some things that you might need to do;
- You should try to get in touch with the more reputable local movers who are around you. when you have gotten in touch with them, you should ask for a home inspection to ascertain the cost of moving your items
- Ensure that everything that needs to go is made visible to them to make sure that the costs presented are as accurate as possible. Also, ensure that you know all the hidden costs and miscellaneous which may rear its head during the trip.
Once this is done, it would also be a good idea to get the prices of so many local moving companies and compare them to find the one that is cheaper. Please note that while low prices can be very appealing, it is always a good idea to avoid price estimations which is much lower than the costs of the other local moving company.
Reducing the Cost
Now, it is important to know how to reduce the cost of the movers if you can. When it comes to calculating costs for local moves, it is important to note that there is a wide difference between moving to a different area entirely and simply making a move to another property in the same area. The first thing that marks its difference is the shortened distance in the case of moving locally. It is also important the price of the movement is usually calculated with time as the major determinants rather than the weight of the product nor the height.
Despite the favorable conditions, it is possible to run control of your financial requirement when moving your things. If this is the situation you face, then you can quickly solve your issues using these methods;
- One way to do this is to try to reduce the number of things you are carrying. The truth is that the more products which you would have to carry, the more possibility that the trip would be longer or would have to be broken into many trips. Hence, try to shorten the number of things which you would them to help you carry.
- Try to put your things in order yourself. Remember that everything that counts during this period has to do with time. The only way to reduce costs is by reducing the time they spent with you. Even if you suck at packing, try to ensure that your things are well-arranged for them when they work through that door. You would be surprised as to the impact it would have. If you are having a hard time achieving this, you can always seek the help of your friends. They would always be happy to help.
Please note that sometimes, it is not always easy to have everything that you owned packed and arranged in time. If this is the case for you, you have the option of leaving everything for them to pack or saving some for yourself to pack later. Either choice is good as far as you have the money to back it up.
Spotting Bad local moving companies
Before we forget, it is always a good idea to keep yourself away from local movers who have a bad reputation or are simply incompetent at what they do. While it may be hard to completely focus during this period, it is important to look at for some of these signs. They would hint at you as to the integrity of the companies. They would naturally include;
- It is always a bad idea to go with a local moving company whose prices are just too good to be true. As earlier stated, while this may be tempting, the result is normally a terrible work or even outright fraud.
- Licenses and certifications as professional organizations are also important. You should check to see that your moving company is well certified before trusting them with your personal properties and items.
- You should always be on alert especially if a company asks or request for you to take make some advanced payment. Granted, advanced payments are sometimes reasonable. However, making huge advanced payments before the work is even done would be a mistake on your part.
- Paying with a credit card is also a good thing as it would help you keep a record of all transactions that have been made. It will also help you if the company denies any payments you have made. Paying with cash would make things all too easy for them.
Companies such as iMoving.com are the best options for you if you are looking for a reputable local moving company which is affordable and competent. Ensure that you are never cheated by any local moving company.
Moving to a new property can be exciting and pulsating. However, things can all go bad if you are not careful. You should ensure that you have a good local moving company. iMoving.com is the perfect place to start. By taking the right step, you would be ensuring that your move to your new home would go very smoothly.