The Complete Guide to Hiring Local Movers
You finally did it! You got your new house or property, and everything seems to be moving just as you planned. You negotiate the prices of your new property and settle all the expenses that come with it. You are ready to move. All that remain is just MOVING. Does this sound familiar? It probably does! Every year, thousands of people are on the move from one place to another. Some of these relocations may even include leaving the country for somewhere else while others could simply mean that you are to move locally.
If you are all set to move locally, then you would no doubt be looking for ways to get your stuff over to your new place. For most people, the perfect thing to do is to get the right professionals to do the job-local movers!
Sounds easy right? However, it is not that easy. While we know that we need local movers, we also know that to get the right local movers could prove to be a challenge indeed. That is why we have made this article to guide you on the steps and things you would need to be on the lookout for when you are hiring local movers. Ready to see some of them?
Here is your complete guide to hiring local movers
The Question of Do it yourself
For most people who are looking to move and are considering local movers, one of the first things you would have to ask yourself if it is worth it. Do you need to get a local mover? While this may be a tad confusing to you, it can easily be answered by asking yourself some important questions. This would normally include;
- Who would help you move? While the thought of saving money can be tempting, thinking about the individuals who would help you move should be on your mind. There would most likely be a lot of things which you are going to have to move from one place to another. These things could also be quite heavy too. Therefore, before you make up your mind to do it before you, make sure you always trustworthy and reliable people or friends who are willing to do the heavy lifting for you. If you do not, you would probably be left stranded.
- How much experience do you have? While moving may look as simple as really moving thing, it calls for a lot of experience. For example, there would be the danger of damaging some items permanently on your way to your new home. You have to ask yourself if you have the experience within you to get this job done with precision and accuracy. If you do not, it would be better to contact a local moving company.
- How much driving do you know? Because there are so many things that have to be moved, you might have to drive a van to get your load over to your destination. Having experience driving a van helps as it would reduce the likelihood of an accident on the road. If you do not have experience, it would always be better to leave this job for the professionals to handle
Finding Local Movers
If you have established without a doubt that you are going to need local movers, then the next step would no doubt to find where they are. You should ensure that you try to nail down a moving company as soon as you can. This should be done if you do not want unnecessary time wasting for your items that need to be transported.
However, you would have to find local movers who you can trust to move your personal stuff to your new home. While looking for the suitable one, here are some things which you should very consider;
- Customer review: one of the best way to get the best of the very best local movers these days is through customer reviews. Customer reviews would help you to know just how efficient and good their services are. To get a customer review, you must not go online even though that is a very good option. You can get them from your friends and other people you know who have gone through the same process of moving things. They would be able to tell you which of the local movers are good and which of them are bad. You can also, however, complete your research through the internet.
- Reputation: When looking for local movers, another way to locate them is through their reputation. Many local movers who have shown their good work through the years are well known and are rated very highly. If you are ever in doubt as to the local movers which you should move, you can always fix up an appointment with one of these companies. They would be delighted to help you in any way that they can.
- Skilled Professionals: if you are ever in doubt as to the expertise of a local moving company, you should ensure that you check the certifications and the skills which their staff have. Knowing this would help either reassure you that you are on the right track or give you a sense of danger that the path you are treading is quite dangerous. In the end, it is at your discretion to choose the local mover of your preference.
- Price: another thing which might come into play is the price of a local mover. If you are under a strict budget, it would be better to look for cheap movers which would be discussed below. You can also find out what their price would be by asking for price estimates when you contact them. This would ensure that you do not end up wasting your time. It is important to note that inspection by the local movers of your house remains the best choice when looking for price estimations.
Looking for cheap movers?
Like earlier stated, if you are on the lookout for cheap movers probably due to your budget, then you cannot just settle for any local moving company. However, it is important to note that while getting a cheap local moving company would be amazing, it should not overweight the importance of getting a quality one. For example, imagine that you a local mover who is quite cheap and affordable. You make the necessary payments, and they do a terrible job at it. Your items are damaged or thrown off the van on the way due to reckless driving. You would have lost everything while trying to go for something cheap!
However, going for cheap local movers that do a good job is also very possible. To get this right, here are some things that you might need to do;
- You should try to get in touch with the more reputable local movers who are around you. when you have gotten in touch with them, you should ask for a home inspection to ascertain the cost of moving your items
- Ensure that everything that needs to go is made visible to them to make sure that the costs presented are as accurate as possible. Also, ensure that you know all the hidden costs and miscellaneous which may rear its head during the trip.
Once this is done, it would also be a good idea to get the prices of so many local moving companies and compare them to find the one that is cheaper. Please note that while low prices can be very appealing, it is always a good idea to avoid price estimations which is much lower than the costs of the other local moving company.
Reducing the Cost
Now, it is important to know how to reduce the cost of the movers if you can. When it comes to calculating costs for local moves, it is important to note that there is a wide difference between moving to a different area entirely and simply making a move to another property in the same area. The first thing that marks its difference is the shortened distance in the case of moving locally. It is also important the price of the movement is usually calculated with time as the major determinants rather than the weight of the product nor the height.
Despite the favorable conditions, it is possible to run control of your financial requirement when moving your things. If this is the situation you face, then you can quickly solve your issues using these methods;
- One way to do this is to try to reduce the number of things you are carrying. The truth is that the more products which you would have to carry, the more possibility that the trip would be longer or would have to be broken into many trips. Hence, try to shorten the number of things which you would them to help you carry.
- Try to put your things in order yourself. Remember that everything that counts during this period has to do with time. The only way to reduce costs is by reducing the time they spent with you. Even if you suck at packing, try to ensure that your things are well-arranged for them when they work through that door. You would be surprised as to the impact it would have. If you are having a hard time achieving this, you can always seek the help of your friends. They would always be happy to help.
Please note that sometimes, it is not always easy to have everything that you owned packed and arranged in time. If this is the case for you, you have the option of leaving everything for them to pack or saving some for yourself to pack later. Either choice is good as far as you have the money to back it up.
Spotting Bad local moving companies
Before we forget, it is always a good idea to keep yourself away from local movers who have a bad reputation or are simply incompetent at what they do. While it may be hard to completely focus during this period, it is important to look at for some of these signs. They would hint at you as to the integrity of the companies. They would naturally include;
- It is always a bad idea to go with a local moving company whose prices are just too good to be true. As earlier stated, while this may be tempting, the result is normally a terrible work or even outright fraud.
- Licenses and certifications as professional organizations are also important. You should check to see that your moving company is well certified before trusting them with your personal properties and items.
- You should always be on alert especially if a company asks or request for you to take make some advanced payment. Granted, advanced payments are sometimes reasonable. However, making huge advanced payments before the work is even done would be a mistake on your part.
- Paying with a credit card is also a good thing as it would help you keep a record of all transactions that have been made. It will also help you if the company denies any payments you have made. Paying with cash would make things all too easy for them.
Companies such as iMoving.com are the best options for you if you are looking for a reputable local moving company which is affordable and competent. Ensure that you are never cheated by any local moving company.
Moving to a new property can be exciting and pulsating. However, things can all go bad if you are not careful. You should ensure that you have a good local moving company. iMoving.com is the perfect place to start. By taking the right step, you would be ensuring that your move to your new home would go very smoothly.
How to Ship a Car to Another State
Shipping your car to another state is obviously a task that you cannot handle on your own, the task needs to be outsourced to an auto shipping company. Hence, your first assignment in shipping your car to another state is to search for available auto shipping companies that is safe, secure, licensed, and affordable at the same time.
There are certain things you will like to avoid when shipping your car and as a result of this you need to get a transportation company that will guarantee you the following;
- They must be able to deliver your car to your preferred destination as at when due without compromising on the agreed arrival time.
- The car must arrive the new location safely without any damage being done to it, which means there should be no scratches, no paint chips, and no dents whatsoever inflicted on the car.
- Their services must be affordable and yet they must be of top-quality at the same time.
- The whole transportation process has to be seamless without you having to leave other important things you need to attend to and of course, this is the reason why you have decided to engage the services of an experienced auto transportation company.
The first thing to do in shipping a car to another state is to source for aa dependable and trustworthy company that is licensed, secured, and insured and other things will naturally fall in place.
Just like moving from one place to another may be tedious so also moving a car to another state may also be tedious. The bulk of the whole task stops at putting logistics right before, during, and after moving to your new location. If all logistics are in place, then definitely whether you are moving your car or anything else like a piano will be seamless.
I will be highlighting a few steps to be taken when you are moving your car to another state. These steps will guide you and help you have a good experience whenever you plan to move your car.
1. Choose a Shipping Company
Getting a right shopping company is the foundation to everything else you will need to do to have an enjoyable moving experience. If you get the choice correct you are in for a good time. However, if you are unlucky to go with the wrong company, everything might just out a mess, so it is good to take your time to source for the right company. Some of the things you need to do to make the right choice of shipping company are a s follows;
- Check Auto/Shipping Transporter Review: The best measure of future performance is to evaluate past performances, so before you engage any auto transport company make sure you read reviews about them from independent sites so that you don’t read reviews that have been doctored. Find out what their clients say about them, ask friends and families for recommendations.
- Compare Prices: In as much as you want quality services, you still would not want to go outside your budget, s it is good to get quotes from different companies and you compare to make your final decision.
- Check Their Registration: Make sure your selected shipping company is registered and has a valid US Dot number on their website. With this you can know if the company is legitimate or not.
- Liaise With Your Auto Transport Company: Call your auto transporter to have an idea of their professionalism and responsiveness. Try to know if they will answer your call and how fast they will reply to your message or get back to you.
2. Book A Viable Shipping Date
After you have settled for a shipping company, the next thing is to book an available shipping date. Carefully evaluate your situation and select a date and book ahead of time; at least two weeks earlier s that you can get good rates and delivery dates. If you book too close to your move date, it will be considered as an emergency shipment and it will cost more.
3. Prepare Your Car
Make sure you prepare and get your car ready for shipping before the pickup date and time. A few things you need to do in order to get your car ready may include;
- Wash the outside and inside of your car; this will make it easier for you to notice any scratch, and dents that may appear on the car in transition.
- Inspect your car with the tracker.
- Take picture where necessary before your car is transported.
- Empty your tank so that it does not add weight to your car but ensure you have enough fuel that will be enough for unloading and loading.
- Remove all your personal belongings by clearing all you have in the car.
- Handover your car keys to the driver.
- Remove any removable part in your car s that it doesn’t get missing in transition.
- Deactivate your car alarm.
4. Pick Your Car
Your shipping company will give you a delivery window that includes the timing when your car will be delivered. This may take few weeks depending on your destination. You will need to monitor the progress of the job by communicating with your shipper from time to time and also this can be done through a tracker. Your shipping company should provide a means with which you can track your car through a GPS enabled tracker.
Finally, upon delivery, make sure you inspect your car for any damages, dents, and scratches, among others. If your car arrived in good condition, then you can sign the bill of loading. If you find any kind of scratches, dents, or damages you can use the document to file a claim.
Moving your car to another state requires a lot of effort and as such you should make necessary plans ahead of time and make sure you engage a top professional auto transport company to get the job done for you and you will enjoy the whole process without you having to move a morsel.
Moving into a new home can be exciting as it is an opportunity to get used to a new environment, new apartments, and there are a whole lot of things to do to make yourself comfortable in the new home. It might be difficult to do all at once because of the enormous work that may be required. However, with time you will get to do these things one after the other in order of their priority. We will be highlighting some of the major things to do after moving into a new house and the points we will be listing here are in no particular order.
15 Things to Do After Moving into A New House:
1. Change Your Locks: One of the most important thing to do when you move into a new house id to change the locks to ensure you are the only one who has the keys to your apartment. Call a locksmith to help you install deadbolts just to be guaranteed that your new home is secured.
2. Get A List of Emergency numbers: Once you move into your new home, make sure you get a list of all emergency numbers to call in case of any eventuality. After getting a list of the emergency numbers in the neighborhood, type it out and have it pasted in the house where every member of the family can easily have access to it in case of any emergency. A good place to paste it is on the refrigerator.
3. Set Up Security: Set up a home security system as fast as possible so that you can have peace of mind as it is a new home and you don’t want to start calling for help in a new neighborhood. If you have a security system already installed, call the security company to help you activate it and you change the security codes.
4.Arrange Furniture: Arrange your furniture according to your floor plan, create a unique space that suits you using beautiful layouts. Remember it is a new space and you have to make it look beautiful.
5. Clean your new House: make re you clean your house before you start to unpack. You don’t want to start unpacking your belongings in a dirty home to avoid the whole thing turning into a mess.
6. Unpack your Items: To avoid searching through boxes for your items six months down the line after moving, you have to take the time to unpack your items and fix them in appropriate places. This can be a difficult task as it may take some time but the earlier you do it the better. If you think it’s going to take so much of your time, you can do it gradually and in no time you will be done.
7. Take Inventory as You Unpack: Taking inventory as you unpack will help you know if all your belongings made it to your new home without any damage or loss.
8. Steam Clean Carpets: It is important to steam clean your carpets before moving in your furniture in order to get your new home started on a fresh start. You can employ the services of a professional carpet cleaning service to get this done for you.
9. Wipe out Your Cabinets: It is good to get off to a hygienic start in your new home. Hence, you will need to clean and wipe the outside and inside of your cabinets and bathroom before you start arranging your dishes and bathroom supplies accordingly.
10. Ensure Utilities Are Functioning: Notify the utilities companies s that they are aware you are moving in. Get the trash and sewer companies in the know, call the gas supply station to transfer gas, and also call the power supply companies to make sure you have electricity. Fixing all utilities will ensure you have all you need from the start and that way you will be comfortable in your new home.
11. Establish Internet Connectivity: Most of the security apparatus and systems installed in homes today use internet. The CCTV cameras, digital doorbells, and some other home-based apps run on the availability of internet, s you will need to fix a Wi-Fi in your home. Call the tech guys to get all these fix as fast as possible.
12. Meet Your Neighbors: Let other people who reside in your neighborhood know you, introduce yourself to them s that you are not seen as an intruder. This step is also important for security reasons.
13. File an Insurance Claim: If you have a moving insurance in place and you discover that some of your items are damaged or missing, then you will need to submit a claim. This may take some time so you will need to be patience and persistent but in the end it will be worth your time and effort.
14. Get Used to the Main Water Valve and Circuit Breaker Box: You need to get acquainted to the circuit breaker so that you know which one to turn off if you need to isolate light or water from getting to certain part of the house. For example, if you need to change a broken light in your bathroom, you need to know which breaker to disengage so that light does not supply to the bathroom. That way you will be safe not to get electrocuted while you change the broken light. Also, it is important to know how to turn off the main water valve in case of a plumbing emergency.
15. Check for any Leakage: You can invite a home inspector to help you check all pipes and installed plumbing spares to ensure they are all in good shape. That way you will be able to prevent any kind of leakage. Leakages can be very bad especially if they are not easily visible; it will accumulate over time and cause some damages that may require lots of effort to fix. Give special attention to your running toilets and faucets, and water heater for any leakage sign.
Doing all these will help you to start off in your new home the right way and manner that will give you maximum comfort.
Moving to a new place can be hectic and expensive; hence it is important to find out ways to make moving a bit easier. So many items and property in your house, from the basement to the bedroom make for the very important question of what to keep and what to throw away before you move to your new home. This is because the size and weight of your belongings is an important factor that determines the cost of your move, so when the size and weight are less, the moving cost is cheaper.
Thinking out the items you can throw away when you move, can be troubling, but some of these items are those which you should really get rid of before moving.
The Best Tips on What to Throw Away When you Move
1. Clothing and shoes you don’t love or wear
If there is clothing or shoes, you feel you wouldn't buy again if, given a chance to, there is no need to keep such an item. Check what fits you and what doesn't fit anymore, and you can donate that bulk of clothing to charity or give it out to friend. Completely discard those that have no use anymore, even on someone else. Shoes are difficult to pack and can be heavier than they seem, so you can let go of pairs that you haven’t worn in many months.
If you do your laundry on a regular basis, you don’t actually have a need for too many towels, and they are also very space-consuming than you might think. They are cheap to get and very bulky to pack up, and in reality, they should be replaced regularly, so get your bathroom in your new home looking sweet and bright with the presence of a new towel and stay hygienic as well. Throw away your old towels before moving into your new apartment.
3. Unread books and those you won't read
Books make up for the most items that make packing boxes heavier, and this increases the price of moving especially in long-distance cases. If you decide to move with all your books, you will be charged for a full-service packing, and this will cost even higher. Lighten the weight of your luggage when moving and prevent these books from taking up useful space in your new apartment by getting rid of those books on your shelves you hardly or never read. You can screen them and decide on which ones to donate so that someone else can enjoy and benefit from them.
4. Old and Expired drugs
One of the areas in the house which is less checked during clean up is the medicine cabinet, so moving creates an opportunity to recheck your medicine cabinet and get rid of those drugs which are too old or that are expired. This does not just only save space, but it saves lives as well because when drugs have gone past their expiration dates, they become less potent. This means that if you are taking such drugs for a particular illness or health challenge, it may not work effectively and you may not be getting the right dosage. So it is important to stay safe and healthy by using the opportunity moving brings, to throw such drugs away.
5. Your cups and mugs
When you look into your kitchen cabinet and take out a mug or a cup to get some coffee or tea, you are met with a vast array of such cups and mugs which may be cracked, old and faded, or even ones that don’t match each other, and look like nuisance in your cabinet.
You may obsess over some cups or mugs because of how they are nicely designed or the inscriptions they have written on them. These cups or mugs may have been collected over the years, but it is surely time to throw them out. Getting rid of these old, un-matching kitchenware means you will pack fewer boxes which in turn mean an easier moving experience for you. It also gives you a chance to start over and collect new dishes that match.
6. Plastic containers
Over time you must have consciously or unknowingly kept a bulk of plastic containers either for leftovers or in preparation for a future use. Most times, however, we are not even able to find lids to such containers. Packing all these containers will be time-consuming, and they probably won't be useful as even more of these containers will be packed subsequently at your new place. So go through the collection of these containers and brutally reach a decision to throw away or thrash them.
7. Old magazines and notebooks
There is always going to be a pile of magazines lying around your home if you store up old papers or if you have catalog subscriptions. You can keep the current ones but throw away or get rid of those very old ones. Donating such magazines to libraries, offices or salons is never a bad idea.
If you have old notebooks that you don't have a use for anymore, you should throw them away before you move. If there are some you have barely written in and would like to save the contents; you can do so by ripping out the important pages and putting them all in a folder. The chances of resurrecting an old notebook that you have written in and given up on, are close to zero or nothing so it will be very thoughtful to just throw such books away when moving.
8. Old makeup or bath products
A move to a new place comes with a new you, so stick to only makeup that makes you look and feel fabulous because there will be lots of time to experiment on new ideas of beauty products when you move and settle into your new place. Also, whether it is an old perfume bottle, soap, make-up items or an empty bottle of shampoo or lotion, get rid of these old bath products before you move and thrash anything that is expired and no longer being used.
The following table displays what to throw away when you move:
No. What to Throw Away When you Move 1. Clothing and shoes you don’t love or wear 2. Towels 3. Unread books and those you won't read 4. Old and expired drugs 5. Your cups and mugs 6. Plastic containers 7. Old magazines and notebooks 8. Old makeup or bath products
The first question that comes to mind when you try to move either long distance or short distance is, how much will it cost to move my household, business or goods? The reason why this question stands tall is because no one wants to spend above what is expected when they plan to move, so every opportunity to cut cost will be considered and harnessed.
Regardless of how you try to cut cost even by doing the bulk of the moving task by yourself you will still end up spending some money no matter what. According to the national trade association for the professional moving industry it costs an average of $2,300 to move a home within the same state and for a long distance move that involve moving from one state to another (distance of around 1,225 miles), it may cost around $4,300. Going by this average rates for moving, it is only natural for individuals moving to try as much as possible to cut moving cost and expenses to the barest minimum.
There are a couple of measures and means through which the cost of moving can be reduced as much as possible and that is what makes the whole process interesting as it depends on your budget and what you are willing to let go in terms of cash. I will be highlighting a few ways in which one can cut cost and moving expenses, these steps are practical and it has worked in the past, and it is still working.
Tips to Cut Moving Cost and Expenses
- Define Your Budget: Before commencing the whole moving process, try as much as possible to define what you budget for the move, that way you will be able to monitor your expenses and easily know when a task is about gulping more than you budgeted.
- Request quote from Different Moving company: Get quotes from moving companies, invite each of them over if possible so that they can have a good idea of the task at hand. Compare the quotes and decide which of the moving companies has a fair rate and is capable of delivering top-quality services. Trying to get a cheap company to handle your moving task should not mean lowering standard or quality of service so you have to ensure you are getting a fair rate with the possibility of being well-served at the same time.
- Get Rid of Trash: avoid moving items that you will not need in your new home as they will add to the weight of your belongings and thereby increase the moving rate. If you don’t need an item do not pay to move it. Getting rid of all clutters will go a long way in simplifying your task and lighten up the load you will be moving. You can give out items that you no longer need to friends and families or sell them.
- Do not Schedule your move During Peak Season: The timing of your move has an effect on how much you will be charged. Most people move during the summer and the demand at this time is high and will eventually cause a surge in moving price. The best period of the year to move is between October and April, if it is possible to schedule your move during this period, then it will help you to save some money as you will be paying less. Also try not to move during the holidays or weekends and the end and the beginning of the month.
- Avoid the Middle Man: Do not hire the services of a moving company through an agent, third party or outsourcing company. Engaging a moving company directly by yourself will save you some cash, all you need to do is to do a thorough research on which of the available companies will best suit your moving needs.
- Avoid Buying Packing Supplies: Search and for packing supplies from friends and families so that you don’t have to pay extra cash for them when you can get the supplies for free. Except for tape, every other item you need for packing can be gotten at no cost. You can get boxes from supermarkets, craigslist, and liquor stores among others. Use what you have in addition to what you can source for packing.
- Defrost the Freezer and Fridge: If you will be moving your freezer or fridge, make sure you defrost it ahead of time.
- Rent a Truck for a DIY move: If you plan to do the whole moving task by yourself, then you may have to request for help from families and friends who can help with packing, sorting, loading, and un loading. In this case you will need to rent a truck yourself and transport your belongings to your new home.
- Ask Questions About Hidden Charges: Do not make assumptions, ask your moving company id there are any hidden charges. Ask if they will charge for repacking, heavy items, and the rate they charge per stairs.
- Get Portable Storage: Source for companies that will safely deliver a storage unit to your new apartment. This will help you save some moneys because you can do the packing by yourself, while your mover picks up the unit and deliver to your preferred location.
All the tips discussed above can go a long way in helping you save so much on the cost and expenses needed to move your belongings either locally or across long distances. However, you should not sacrifice quality at the altar of getting cheap moving services. Make sure the moving company you are engaging is insured, secured, and licensed s that you will not go with a wrong company that will make you have a torrid moving experience.
You will agree that moving is not fun, in fact, it could get worse if you have to move to another state entirely. One of the things most people have had to worry about when moving is how they would ship their cars. Since they cannot travel with their cars, they would have to ship it. How then would they ship it? In this article, we will discuss how you can ship your car when you decide to move to another state or city.
Best whys to ship your car:
1. Shipping Your Car On A Truck
According to a research that was carried out by USA Today, it was discovered that the best way to transport personal cars is to have them shipped by truck. Cars can be shipped either on open or closed trucks. According to the Car Transport Interstate, open trucks would expose cars to elements while closed trucks that are safer are over 60% more expensive than open trucks. It was also revealed by Interstate Car Transport, that shipping cars across the country would take about 7 to 14 days. It could take lesser depending on the distance between the place the vehicle is to be shipped from and where it should be shipped to.
While shipping by truck is one of the most common ways you can ship your vehicle, there are certain things that you have to take to heart. They include;
- Having a broker by your side is actually the best way for you to get the best prices when shipping from one point to another.
- Endeavor to abide by the 500 pounds weight limit that has been stipulated by the relevant authority.
- Payment; you have to know the price for moving your vehicle. The price for moving vehicles would vary depending on certain factors; the company, the distance, the weight of the cat, and whether you would prefer the open or closed truck. With this in mind, it is important that you find out the cost before you decide to ship your car.
- Insurance; this is very important. Endeavor to find out the insurance of the company you choose. Also, it is advised that your vehicle is in good condition.
2. You could decide to hire professional drivers
This is actually the second common way you can have your vehicle shipped when you decide to move. It happens to be a faster alternative than having to ship your car in a truck. They also happen to be more expensive and even safer for your vehicle. Some of the advantages of professional drivers;
- They are insured
- Most of them would allow you to pack your essential household items and even your pets as well
- You can decide to join them on the ride.
You could decide to hire an independent driver you know around your place of residence, or you could hire someone that has been recommended by your friends or colleagues. While you may need drivers, there are certain ways you can find them; running local ads is one way that has proven effective. For safety reasons, it is advised that you run criminal checks before you pick one for the job. Also, you could decide to apply for short-term insurance that would cover them and your vehicle. This would ensure that your vehicle is attended to if anything happens during the trip.
Before you decide to opt for this option, it is important that you remember that driving your car for a long distance would eventually take a toll on it in the months or years to come.
3. Drive Your Car Yourself
This is one of the best ways you can move your car to a new location. This is simply like taking a road trip. Those moving to shorter distance would find this the best option for them. This does not only save you enough money that would have been used to either hire a truck company or a professional driver, but it also assures you that your vehicle is in the best hand (your hand). Those moving to other states or cities would find this a challenging task, but they would find it surprising to know that it can be done if they are determined.
Those who have doubts about driving their car to their new location would first have to fly their stuff to the new location, then fly back to drive their car to the new place. Doing this would ensure that you do not have to take items with you as you drive.
4. Auto train
You will find it surprising to know that you can move your car by train. If you plan to move your car to the following cities; Washington, Florida, DC and Orlando, then you can simply have your stuff packed into the car then load the vehicle into the auto train. According to sources, this auto train is able to carry; SUV's, cars, motorcycles, and others.
5. Hiring a non-professional to do the job;
Asides from driving your car yourself, this is the least expensive option. You could hire a student, a friend, or anyone who is trustworthy and in need of cash. Although this option has its own risks, there are other upsides that we will consider.
- It is a personal way you can move your car
- It is affordable
Endeavor to ask for a price and pay them once they have done their job. For security reasons, double check your insurance documents to find out if it covers potential accidents that may occur during the trip.
Tips To Consider When You Decide To Move Your Car
While we have discussed some of the ways you can ship your car when moving, there are certain tips that you have to take to heart. These tips include;
- Ensure that your car is in good shape
- Ask for price
- Double check your insurance documents
- Ask questions
We have discussed five ways you can ship your car when you decide to move to another location. Also, we have mentioned tips that you should take into consideration before choosing any of the options.
Before Your Move
If you are preparing to change houses, it is important to immediately go through your belongings in order to determine which of the properties to keep and which ones to let go. Instead of throwing away your belongings, selling them is a better way to let go of them. Moving into a new home provides the opportunity to build a new life for yourself and set your old life in a different view. One way to achieve this new feeling of life is by selling your old properties and personal possessions that are outdated, and getting new items to replace them.
Why it is a good idea to sell some items before moving
- Packing up some old properties can be tiring and time intensive, so selling off some items will save you a lot of time and effort required to move with your belongings.
- Selling out some items will help you save a lot of money while moving as it would not be necessary to hire a company service or vehicle to relocate and transport your property. You won’t also have to spend any money on packaging and on moving insurance.
- Selling some of your belongings gives you more cash, and you will in effect be able to afford to get new items for your new place with no financial stress.
- You can start afresh with a whole new setup, different from your old home and exclusively fill your new place with those items you like.
Therefore, it is really important to sell some old stuff before you move to give way for fascinating new items and so many other benefits. It is of essence, however, to have a better idea of the items you must sell before you move.
Big and bulky furniture
Getting overly attached to your material belongings is never a good thing, and large, bulky furniture is not an exception. You should stick with those pieces of furniture that are valued family possessions, passed on through the generations or other priceless antiques. Any other old furniture that can simply be replaced by a newer one should be sold before you move and as it were, it will prove a more economical choice to sell them rather than pay for packing and shipping to your new home.
Old books or books you don’t really love
When it comes to books, people rarely go over those books they have already finished reading, unless with some exceptions where you must really love or value those books and the contents. So you can sell out books you have already read and finished enjoying to someone who can enjoy it as well. Likewise, you can do the same thing for children's storybooks or reference materials from college. By selling these books, you set them free, put them to good use, prevent them from taking up space in your new place, and also get some cash out of them.
Kitchen supplies and appliances you barely use
If there is still a lot of kitchen supplies in your cupboard, it will be a good idea to sell to your neighbors before you move. In many cases, people who move are not allowed to transport items such as cleaning detergent and other chemicals, so packing up such items can prove to be a waste of your time. Other fragile items such as plates, , and others which are of no special value can be sold.
Most of the appliances you own maybe things you craved for years ago, such as your microwave oven; but it is important to face the reality that they have lived their stay. Sell these appliances to someone who might actually need it or have a use for it and get some money out of those items as well. It also gives you an opportunity to get new and modern supplies and appliances for the kitchen in your new apartment.
Old gadgets and appliances
Is there an old VCR in your old home and do you really need to continue hanging on to that appliance? Such are the questions you should ask yourself before moving to your new place when it comes to choosing the appliances or gadgets to move with. Old television sets or others like your washing machine are items you really need to consider selling before you move. As technology evolves, so do these appliances so selling them might give you a lift with some extra cash and avail you the chance to purchase and own newer and improved versions in your new home.
Items which will not fit into your new home
Before you move, be sure that you get proper measurements such as the height and width of each room in your new apartment, then look through your property and figure out if they will measure or fit into the spaces in your new home. After this is done, it will be unnecessary to move with items which will clearly not fit into the spaces in your new place, so selling off those misfits will be a good idea.
These can range from clothes or shoes which have become smaller, don’t fit again or which you do not feel confident in anymore to kids toys and other collections. There is no reason to have a “what if” attitude towards these items because they will still add up as unnecessary extra luggage when you are moving or as crap in the wardrobe or rooms in your new home. Sell those clothes or shoes off and let someone else who will appreciate and love them just how they are, wear the items.
Giving up the toys or stuffed animals of kids can be challenging, thus keeping a few of these items can be allowed, but the others that are of less importance or too old should be sold before you move to avoid wasting useful space in your new home with some needless items which could have been used to make other children happy, and as well as to make some cash.