How To File a Moving Insurance Claim
One of the most beautiful things is always having to move from your former place to a new place. We know how much you have planned this moment and the way you look forward to settling down. But the most disappointing thing is when you discover that some of your items and belongings are not in the same condition that you met them. This can be a very big discouragement. If you are not so pleased with this type of situation and need to do something, then we recommend you filled an insurance claim to your local moving company.
What is a moving insurance claim?
In simple terms, this is the complaint you lay down when you have any of your property damaged after your move. This is a claim you tender to show that your belongings have been damaged or are not in the condition you left them. It is very essential that we all have insurance on our belongings when moving because we can never tell what will happen, or what might accidentally break.
So if you notice anything scratch on your TV, a defect in one of your formally standard belonging, or even a broken or cracked expensive item, then you might need to file an insurance claim. Continue reading this informative piece so that you can learn the detailed procedure on how to file a moving insurance claim.
Be prepared before the move
Planning to make your move a successful one does not start from only making a well-detailed list of all your beginnings. It also spills over into making sure you get your stuff insured. Prepare all your belongings as though you were expecting damage. We know you don't wish for any of your items to be broken or get missing but you should be able to take precautionary measures by planning to file a moving insurance claim even before it happens, just in case you might need to file an insurance claim later.
First thing's first, you must have a well detailed and comprehensive list or inventory of all your items, and belongings. In this inventory, you should add the details of their current state, and the monetary value of all these items. If you still have the receipts and credit card statement showing the amount you purchased these items then you should add it, as a solid proof.
Taking pictures and videos showing the state of your belongings prior to the time they were moved is another great way to give solid evidence. Despite the fact that your local moving company will have their own list, and inventory of all the items, it is still important you have yours. Just imagine having to file a moving insurance claim, you will have twice the evidence to back your claim. This will give you a higher chance of being attended to promptly.
More information should be kept. If you ever spoke with any of their customer representative, or worker, you need to also document this. You will be shocked at how handy all of those things might become for you. Thinking about the things spoken above, you will agree that it is starting to make sense. So if you find any of your belonging damaged, here is what you have to do, after you have gotten the entire document ready.
Accurately document the damage and monetary value of the item in question
This process is only kickstarted when you notice damage or harm done on your belongings. Once it is something you have noticed, be sure to take the pictures of the new state of the item, and compare it to the former state. Having both the old and new pictures would provide very solid evidence to support your claim. Also make sure that you keep this item, do not misplace or throw it away. Most insurance companies ask for this concrete evidence before further work can be done.
The next thing you want to make sure you do is to get the monetary value of the item in question and place it saddens by side with your claim. To make the task a lot easier for you, you can simply take the credit card statement or the receipt and take it to those who you are filing the claim to.
Pen down the details of your conversations
from the day you decided to hire the moving company up until the time you decided to lay the claim, you need to have a record of all the conversation you have with them. this will help you with accurate information on the timeline involved when you made the claim. You should also include all the hard copies of documents, bills, receipts and every form of paperwork gotten from the moving company. This will help you in providing something you can give to the insurance company hen you want to file a claim.
You shouldn't stop at having all the conversation you get from your moving company, but you should also make sure the new conversations and details you get are equally recorded. Pen down the name of everyone and anyone who speaks to you within that period. Always ask for the names, and addresses of those who spoke you. If they do not provide it, you should ask from them and they will provide you with it
Look into your moving company's contract once again.
The next thing for you to do is to make sure you go through the contract with your moving company over and over again and with scrutiny. There are many parts of the contract you have to pay attention to. Some of the sections you should dwell on are the inventory and bill of lading sections.
The inventory sections show you how the total amount of items and belongings you have in your possession. You have to crosscheck this part because it contains the information about the items you have gathered by the moving company. You should crosscheck it with yours to see if it is consistent. If you have found it to be consistent then you can agree to what they have on their list. Be sure to go through this list so you don't get surprises that some of your items were already damaged before the move.
The bill of lading section of the list would contain information about your confirmation of certain information like the pickup and delivery date, your signature, and the type of insurance coverage you chose. Do well to have this copy for yourself too. Filing a moving insurance claim would require a whole lot and you don't want to be stuck halfway without having the right amount of tools to fight with.
Be also aware of the type of insurance, you have chosen. There are essentially two types. We have value coverage and full coverage. The full coverage grants you a full sum of money stated for each item you have placed. It gives you the exact same amount, but the values coverage only makes your moving company accountable to pay you 60% of whatever the value of the item costs.
Inform your moving company about the claim you want to file
The next thing you want to make sure you do is that you want to inform your moving company about filing a moving insurance claim. There are two outcomes you can expect from telling your moving company. One is that you can expect that they might want to settle things amicably with you. If they choose to settle things with you, and you like the terms then you can go ahead. But if you don't quite agree with their settlement, then you can let the second option take place.
The second option is that they can provide you with a detailed analysis of the types of moving insurance claims there are. They will give you the best information, and you can go ahead to choose the best you want. They can also hint you on some of the additional steps and costs you need to have taken when you are trying to file a claim. If your materials are not complete, they can guide you on what else you need to provide so that the filing process is easy.
Go right ahead and file the claim
After putting all the necessary things in place, you need to start your moving process as soon as you can. There is a law that you have to file your claim within nine months of noticing the damage. The best thing is to start early that is why it is advisable to have all of the things mentioned earlier even before you have any case of damage so the process is easier for you.
After the moving company must have given you the things you need to provide, you should also try as much as possible to add the following even when they are not demanded. A copy of both your personal and company inventory so they can be cross-examined. The monetary value evidence of the item in question, videos, and pictures of the item that was damaged, little information that you can provide in words describing the damage on the item.
After you must have successfully filed an insurance claim. The company is now left with the work of acknowledging that they have received the claim. This is meant to be within a time frame of the 30 days. After the acknowledgment, the revolution comes next. The moving company now has about a month 120 days to bring a resolved answer to you. The method and manner in which the issue is resolved are solely dependent on the type of insurance you choose. You need to make sure you have a full understanding of what the company is to cover and what they are not going to cover.
Before you can even think of laying an insurance claim, you should be sure of the company you are choosing. Make sure you only choose the best company for your moving needs. When you are not sure about the company you want to choose. You will not have a firm grip on them when it comes to handling cases of an insurance claim. Before hiring, you should be well aware of the company you are choosing.
Make sure they explicitly stated that they have insurance. Moving companies without insurance can make you regret if anything goes wrong. All the information provided above is only in the context of having a company that is insured. So you really need to be selective when it comes to choosing a moving company. Moving is a serious business, so you need to devote serious time to selecting the best company for the job.
Also, try as much as possible to remove any barrier that might make you not earn the insurance claim. Remember that what you put in is what you get. If you claim that your belongings are less than the actual amount, then when you are to be paid, you will give the full amount of what you have stated in the insurance coverage. You should also try to get all the necessary documents so you are not refused a chance to get restitution for your items.
we believe that anything can happen during a move. you're fine China could get damaged, or even your antique table. Any item can get damaged, and what you need is an insurance claim. We strongly advise people to take their insurance claim serious even before they see any sign of damage. It is always better to be safe than sorry. Moving is not something you wake up one morning to do. A good plan is what makes the entire process successful, and this is one of the plans you can make in bringing it to success.
Before Your MoveLong Distance Moving Tips to Help You Avoid Disaster
Moving TipsTips for Moving with a Dog
San Diego, located right in the heart of California. San Diego is a lovely place with a lot of things to look around for and be excited over. According to research, it has been found out that a lot of people move there, and the numbers are ever increasing. If you are wondering why many people are moving there, or you also want to move there, we know just why and will give you a full hint on it.
Even with the winter snow, and the rest of America having a good share of the snow, San Diego stands distinctively cool. It’s like the most balanced place you would want to be, with a moderate temperature, and lots of happy faces that want to share their moments with you. As much as you are already getting chills about San Diego, and are already planning your big move, be sure to fix the move around winter. This way you will be able to make a move in time, and beat all the rumble and tumble from the tourist season.
It is not just called America’s Finest City for no reason. Its beautiful scenery and its atmospheric conditions contribute to beauty. You can have the luxury of the beaches, and a lot of attractions you can feed your eyes to. The entire process is very unusual. So instead of having to travel to San Diego to have a feel as a tourist, why not move there permanently.
Here are some of the most compelling reasons why people move to San Diego, and the reasons why you should move too
We just can’t speak enough about the weather, can we? The weather is just something to always talk about especially when you know how the rest of America can be. It feels as though San Diego is detached from the rest of the country, and offers you one of the best conditions. Mild and moderate weather, clear blue skies, and everything beautiful that nature has to offer. The first big embrace you’d get would be the warmth of the atmosphere upon your skin.
If you have a problem with cold and need a place to provide you with very mild temperature all year round, then it’s San Diego. San Diego is the best place to stay if you need to keep your body at an optimal condition. Due to the weather condition, the rain there is also very gentle. This, in turn, affects how bugs, flies, and mosquitoes affect the residents. There is a very minimal activity of bugs and mosquitoes there. It is so nice that you really don’t need to shut your windows in fear of having an infestation. It is just pure bliss.
2. Real Estate
Now, this is something you really need to consider. Your fear might be that if you move to San Diego, there might be nowhere for you to stay, or the prices of the homes there will be overpriced. Well, the truth is, you are wrong. San Diego is also one of the most budget-friendly places to live because of the way the real estate is made. You have a list of options to select from. It all depends on what you want, and what you can afford. The housing plans are simplified to make it easy to own a place.
You can choose between the real estate in the city and those in the metro area. When you want to get a place close to the metro area, you should understand you are searching for a home close to the beach and outstretch up to the deserts. You should also know that the price range is at about $2100 to $2500 for rental in the city. Then the houses in the metro area cost about $2000 to $2300 for rental. So it’s your call, you are at liberty to select the plan you feel is best for you at this time.
3. The Beach
San Diego is home to some of the best beaches in the country. You will be shocked at how many tourists find the beach attractive and visit. You will have the liberty to spend some quality time with your families and loved ones at the beach once you move there. It depends on what part of San Diego you move to; it will no longer take a long time to get to the beach. All you have to do is to pick a date and have all your family, and friends, or others you love to follow you to spend some good time.
Another thing you need to know is the fact that you are open to a lot of other fun activities right on the beach. The beach receives its waves from the Pacific Ocean, and with these waves, you can learn a lot of amazing new stuff. You can get the opportunity to go Paddling, Windsurfing, Kayaking, Surfing, and a lot of other amazing water sports. It feels good to know that you can always get to the beach at any point in time, all year round, and just cool off from the stress of work.
4. Great Tasting Meals
You know one thing we all love to have? Well yeah, you guessed right, It’s food! San Diego will never let you down when it comes to food and having a wide variety to choose from. You are bound to get tired from trying all the food, and you can almost never try them all. One of the best treats you can get in San Diego are Tacos. They have one of the most qualitative and well prepared Tacos. You are bound to be initiated into the culture once you start to live in San Diego. The experience is rewarding.
San Diego shares its borders with Mexico, and as such, a significant influence upon the meals, and the style was influenced by the Mexican. Mexicans have great taste when it comes to food. Apart from Tacos, you can also get Guacamole, Fries, and everything nice. If you have heard about the Carne Asada Fries, then you should also know that San Diego is the foundation of that meal. Since it is also close to the sea, there is a steady supply of delicious sea food served to those who love it. It is a total package living in San Diego.
5. Brews in San Diego
If you look forward to having to continue the good drinking life. San Diego is definitely the place to knock yourself out. You will get to notice breweries that have survived a lot of decades, and the event is being held. There is a special time of the year, usually around November where over a hundred events centered on beer, and the breweries are held. It’s always a beautiful time to learn something new, to have fun, and to meet new people. You get to see people who crafted the beer themselves and see how the award goes.
There are lots of options for you to choose from. You can have a feel of the microbreweries, or you could just go all out and take something from the bigger breweries. But you should trust that if you are a heavy drinker, your hand will be closer to the beer than ever. Tons and tons of beer on display, and for you to choose from. You will have the Ambers, the IPAs, the Lagers, just mention a few, all at your disposal. San Diego really holds through as a place to have fun and also to enjoy the best of nature.
6. A Place of Learning
We have spoken so much about the food of San Diego, we have also spoken about the weather, the beer it offers and the fun in this city. Apart from all those beautiful things, San Diego is also an excellent place to learn. San Diego has a lot of prestigious universities famous for producing some of the leading experts in various fields. So it’s not only about moving for the fun, and every other nice attraction, you can actually move closer to learning here. Their universities offer a very good graduate and undergraduate programs for anyone who is qualified.
Just imagine studying in a place like San Diego. The Atmosphere and the weather act as support in your learning process. While you study, you still have access to good food and some very exciting scenery. It’s like being focused and distracted at the same time. You are bound to have a good time in San Diego.
7. You Are Closer to Nature
Those who love San Diego have numerous reasons for loving it. There are different reasons too, one of such reasons can be the whole outlook of the desert and what you stand to gain. In San Diego, you have the luxury of going hiking as you like, either with a group of people or with your family. There are lots of hiking trails. The best part is that you are almost never alone, lots of people are also going hiking at the same time, and you can make new friends while you go hiking in the beautiful desert trails.
San Elijo particularly stands out for having a lot of hiking trails. So if hiking is on your bucket list when you move to San Diego, you should probably see this place first. If you want a higher and more daring view, then you can try checking out the Potato Chip Rock. If you want to try out the highest peak in San Diego, you need to check the Double Peak. It’s fine if you don’t know any of these places, it’s only a matter of time before you also become a hiking guide yourself.
8. Attractions and Places to Visit
San Diego is one part of California that gets the highest amounts of visits from tourists. There is a place for children and adults alike. If you need new wonders to feed your eyes with, then San Diego is the place to be. LEGOLAND is right in the heart of San Diego and is open for all to come and visit. Your children are bound to have the best moments of their lives as they walk through the fascinating site.
Speaking about places to visit, there are lots of museums available in California. For one, you can get the Maritime Museum of San Diego, The Balboa Park, and many others. The better news is that residents of San Diego are entitled to visit the zoo with their families for free. This is something you want to amaze your kids with. Just have a good time with your family and make them happy.
9. Easy Way of Securing a Job
There is always a job for everyone in San Diego. It really doesn’t matter your skill set, you would always find the job that can get you good food, and an extra to continue living in San Diego. Most importantly, you can get a job with the Museums or find something a lot better, but there is enough to go round for everyone.
Conclusively, we have listed the major reasons why people move to San Diego, and the major question you should have right now is how much does it cost to hire movers to help move your things to San Diego. Well, all of those logistics should be well thought out by you. You need to have a plan, and a time fixed for you to make it happen. Think of everything involved, things like where you stay, if you will need long distance movers, when you want to make a move, how soon you want to move and other things.
San Diego is an absolutely fun place to be; you will never regret one moment spent there by yourself or with your family. So if you’re thinking of some great places to move to, place San Diego at the top of your list.
California is a very beautiful city with lots of opportunities, and exciting new things to try. As much as you want to have fun, and explore a little, there are also times when things might get a little serious, and you would need to know the best possible way to cut down on excessive spending. If you are looking to move within California and are looking for some of the cheapest ways, then you are at the right place as we would be sharing some of the best tips with you in order to save a great deal on moving.
Before we begin fully on the tips, you have to understand two things. First is the fact that you are within California, and the cost of moving might be a bit high. Second is that you are moving locally, and we might not play by the rules. We will be providing you with shortcuts, and useful tips that make moving locally all the more interesting, and cheap within California.
Cheap Ways To Move Locally In California
We already know that moving locally has a tag to itself for being overpriced. It doesn’t matter if you are moving to a new home just a few blocks away, or a couple of streets away from your place, or an entirely different area still within California. The prices sometimes seem too much to handle. So you are here to use some of the proven cost-cutting tips to reduce a lot on spending. It doesn’t matter how the situation plays out. The tips we are providing might be something you cannot do.
These tips are for those who plan to move on a really short term notice or have a long time to plan. When we say short term, we mean with at least a week or two to get some things straightened out. So the tips work well, but you have the choice of refusing or accepting to follow through or just passing on to hire any local mover you can get in California. So here are some of the tips to moving most cheaply, right in California.
Plan Your Move By Yourself And With Your Family And Friends
This is by far one of the cheapest methods you can ever get when you need to move. Instead of having to hire a moving company to handle the move, all you need to do is to hire a truck from the best truck rental company right here in California. You have to make sure all of your things are in order, and you have really good friends that will be there for you when the time comes. Remember we spoke about having time to plan this, time is of the essence so you can inform your friends and family on time for the move.
From calculations done, it has been confirmed that this is by far the cheapest alternative to hiring a moving company. But remember, what you want to avoid might end up coming back to you. If you do not get your plans vetted out, you will end up being disappointed and spending, even more, to cover up for emergencies that you never thought of. So a piece of advice for those who want to move by themselves and with friends or and family, you need to sort things out on time.
For moving with friends to work pretty well, here are some things you need to cover in your plan.
- The first is, reliable friends. Nothing beats having the hands of those who will never turn their back on you when you need them the most. Once you have informed them, and everyone has agreed on a date, you can move on to making other plans.
- The second id making sure you have a list of truck rental companies, carry out a simple survey on them all. After the survey, select the best truck rental company and schedule a date you will need them.
- Try as much as possible to create a checklist of all your items, it’s a pretty hectic process, but it’s worth it. In the end, you will have all your items packed and will be glad for it.
Please note that it is essential you pay close attention to how you move if it is your first time. You stand a better advantage if you have handled a move before. You will know what to look out for, or if you have one of your friends or family who has the experience. Your household items also play a role in determining whether or not the process will be a fruitful or fruitless one. When you have way too many household items to pack you might end up forgetting some.
Just try to declutter your home before the move. Try to get your items up for a yard sale, throw away the things that you do not need anymore. You can also give out to charity the items that are still in good condition, but you do not necessarily need again. We hope these tips get the job done for you.
Search For A Cheap And Reputable Local Mover
This was not the first option because it is not as cheap as the first. The beautiful part is, you might get lucky, and find a very reputable local moving company that is also cheap to help you with the move. Now even after you get a good company, you can still use some techniques to beat down the cost. Here are some of the things you can try out after hiring the company.
Be on the lookout for a very good company that can deliver a decent job. Being on the lookout would mean you deliberately go and search for these companies in California. Don’t be deceived that you don’t have to put in work to get a satisfactory result. You need to search and shortlist the best, and decent companies you find.
While deciding to hire a company, you should try to handle some simple tasks by yourself. You do not have to leave everything for them to move. The trick is to leave only the challenging tasks to them while you handle other simpler tasks. By doing this, you will have little to spend on the amount of item they have helped you move.
Finally, you need to use your instinct in knowing what to pay for and what not to pay for. After you have finally reduced the workload for them by joining in, you can further bargain to reduce the price you are to pay for the final job. This way you would have reduced the cost to be spent on moving a great deal.
Watch Out For Discounts
Remember at the beginning part of this article, we spoke about making sure you have time enough to settle on the day you want to move and have enough time in your hands to work with. The essence of scheduling a perfect time to move has many benefits, and one of them is discounts. We are still talking about the cheapest ways to move. This is another option you can try out with the local moving companies in your area. It would be an excellent idea to choose a time to move that falls within the discount period.
You might want to look out for moving in fall, or winter. The beginning of new seasons is always the best time for you to have your items moved to your new home. You might get lucky enough to get up to 50% slash in the total price you are meant to pay. Remember, time is the most important factor that would determine whether or not you are going to fail. So having enough time with a great plan, places you at a higher chance of succeeding.
Finding the Best Local Movers or Truck Rental Companies
The tips we are going to be sharing are in two folds. One fold is directed towards those who are going to be doing the moving, and with a group of friends or family members. The second fold is for those who are going to be hiring a moving company to help handle their moving needs.
For Those Hiring a Truck from a Truck Rental Company
- The first thing you need to do is to make sure you have you carry out a detailed review of all the items present in your home. Make a list of all the items in your home. Make sure you do not leave anything out at all. Try breaking them down into units and sections. Start with the living room, then each room, then you can proceed to list all the items in your kitchen and other places. Having a list like this will keep you focused on what you want to move, and what you want to dispose of, give out, or sell.
- After having a comprehensive list of all the things, and items you have in your home, you will need a truck. This is where the list comes in, the truck or trucks you will be hiring should be about the number of items you want to move. If you make a random guess, you might end up hiring a truck too small or too large for your moving needs. So, to be at the best position, you need to have a list and use it in making the right choices.
For Those Using A Moving Company
The steps here are quite simple, but must also be paid close attention to. Even though you are searching for a cheap service, quality must be at the forefront of your mind. If you hire a company for their cheap service, you might not get a satisfactory result, and you will end up paying more than you ever bargained for. So here is what you need to do when you are trying to hire a moving company.
- Search and make a list of local moving companies in California first. This is the first most important step, so you can have a list of companies you can select from instead of being limited to the first company you see.
- The next thing is to get quotes from these companies you have selected. Give each of them a full and detailed description of the service you need. Compare the quotes and settle for the one that agrees with you the most. You should consider the voice of your piggy bank. If your piggy bank cries after hiring a company, you should reconsider getting an offer that would make your piggy bank smile; you do not need to spend all your savings on moving locally.
- After getting the quotes, you want to shortlist companies further. The criteria you should use are reviews and do a little research about their online presence. You should find something over the internet that speaks about how well they offer their services. If they are not-so-good, you should also find a lot of negative reviews about them. Try sticking with the companies that have the least amount of bad reviews compared to their positive reviews. Also, do well in asking your friends and family if they have personally tried any of the companies on your list.
- Next thing you want to know about is whether or not the companies are certified. You should also check their records with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) to see how well they are doing. Also, be sure to check if they are members of the American Moving and Storage Association (AMSA).
Finally, you should clear out all your doubts by studying a little further about the company. Check to see if there are coupons or discounts you can get from them to bring the cost of moving to the barest minimum.
Moving is always fun, hectic at the same time. It is always fun because you get excited and emotional over moving from a place you’ve spent a considerable number of years, and had memories with. Most people only realize they are moving on the day they are meant to move; the feeling always seems surreal. On the other hand, it is always hectic because of the mental stress you have to go through in organizing all of your things in a manner that you can easily rearrange and access them. What causes the stress most times is not moving, it’s just trying to sort things out in your head, and of course, the stress eventually wears you out.
Moving is not as hard as you think; it all depends on the approach you use for it. In a bid to help you with the best methods, we have a few tips that would cut down on the stress you’d face. We know moving can be very daunting, but the right approach would make it a lot less stressful.
Below are some of the smart moving and packing tips that would make moving easy even if you are using cross country movers or local movers.
REMOVE UNNECESSARY ITEMS
The first thing you should do in your home is to make sure you take a good survey at all the items you have and see which of them you can declutter. You should do well for yourself by creating a list of some of the items you want to dispose of, items you want to give out and items you want to retain. So from the day, you have intentions of moving, start getting your list together. What you should do for each of the items listed in the rooms is to sell the ones you don’t need again, dispose of anything you know is broken or not used. If you have things that are still of good value, and you don’t give out, you can sell them to people who know the worth.
PACK THINGS SEPARATELY FOR THE FIRST DAY
This is a very important part of your moving process because it entails you preparing for the moving day. Essentially, most people get confused as to where they placed the items they need on the first day, but you can help yourself by arranging all the everyday items you use into one box. Gather things like your toothpaste, your toilet paper, cups, and a lot of other things you know you are going to be needing so you don’t have to start searching again. This is a smart way to organize yourself and put things in the right perspective.
ORGANIZE FREE BOXES WHEN YOU NEED TO ORGANIZE
Another life hack you can use when trying to move is to organize free boxes. These free boxes will help you a great deal in organizing all of your stuff that needs to be moved. The best way to get free boxes would be to source for them from everywhere. A few ideas of places you can get free boxes are: at your local liquor store, tell them to organize a few boxes for you so that you can use them to arrange some of your small items, another place you can find free boxes are at your neighbors’ get them to help you with the boxes of items they purchased a long time and don’t need again. You can equally gather free boxes from a box depot; there you can get as many boxes as you want and in different sizes. Once you have the boxes, you can map out how to rearrange things in the right order.
GET QUALITY BOXES IF YOU CAN’T GET FREE ONES
Just in case you cannot get free moving boxes, or the notice is too short for you to gather a good number of boxes, the best option for you would be to buy good boxes. You can get quality boxes from a list of many different sellers, but then you have to be very sure they are very good and string. No matter how hard you try, you can never know all of the items in your head, and they all cannot fit a little box, so you would save yourself a great deal of stress by getting as many boxes as your items demands. As a rule of thumb, you should make sure the heaviest sizes of your boxes should not be more than 50 pounds. The downside to getting free boxes is that most of these free boxes have stayed a long time at wherever you must have found them and molds, eggs and bugs might be hidden in it, so never use such boxes to store your items for a long time, new boxes are your best options when it comes to storing all the items you might not want to open up.
LABEL YOUR BOXES
After you have gotten your boxes and have arranged all of the items in a manner they would be easy to get back; you should make sure you tape them with colored tapes and label all of the items. The best thing to do would be to label the boxes according to sections, for example, you arrange all the appliances in one box and label them, the same thing for the kitchen wares, the same thing for all items so that you can know which items are in which and where to search for.
The issue when moving is to make sure you make the best use of space as you can. When you are moving, put things inside things, you should be able to place smaller items into bigger items. This way you will make the most of the space you have. If you have a large container for your kitchen wares, you can add all the smaller kitchen wares into the container and put them in a way that you will have more space to work with. This way you will be able to get more things into your boxes.
USE PICTURES TO REMEMBER THE PLACEMENT OF THINGS
There are certain things in your home that were carefully placed, and you might forget them, things such as the way your cords are arranged on your appliances and other settings. When you take pictures of how certain appliances were placed, and other items, you will be able to place them correctly when you move to your new apartment. This trick and tips work all the time, and not many people are aware of it, use everything you have around you to make sure you make your moving process a lot easier.
USE GARBAGE BAGS FOR YOUR HANGING CLOTHES
You most certainly will have clothes you placed in your cupboard and hanger; you can arrange them neatly in a large garbage bag so that they are protected from dust and they are also left to stretch out in their proper form. You can do this for the entire member of your family but only be sure to make sure you properly label the garbage nylons or the boxes you will eventually place them when you finally move to your new home and unbox the items.
SEPARATE THE THINGS FOR DIFFERENT ROOMS
This is another very important reason why you have to label or use colored tapes for all of the things you are going to be arranged in the boxes. You must make sure you pack and keep the things of everyone in your room in separate boxes, so you have no issues. If you are moving things out of your children’s rooms, then you have to be sure you label them separately to avoid fights over lost items. You also know that you will have personal items that belong to you and your wife, you should keep them away from the general items you have arranged.
NEVER FORGET TO GET ALL YOUR ESSENTIALS IN ONE PLACE
We can never overemphasize the need to put your essentials in one place. Make sure you put them all together so that you never have to run about. The essentials are the things you will need in the first few days or weeks after you must have moved to your new home. The larger the family, the more the items that will be included in your essentials pack. One other thing you should know is that the box where you place all of the essentials should be the last set of boxes you are to place inside the moving truck for easy retrieval.
TAKE EXTRA CAUTION WHEN BOXING BREAKABLE THINGS
Most people lose some of their best glassware and dishes to packing, not packing but the whole fidgeting and anxiety from moving. This should not be the case when you are moving; you should be able to carefully pack your fragile items such as your glass cups, wines cups, dishes, Tupperware, bakeware, and other items. To pack your glass wines, make sure you get a good box that was made for glass cups, to separate them and keep them safe from breaking. In the same manner, you should pack all these items separately. You can use newspaper, cardboard and other types of paper to act as a cushion when you pack all these special wares and dishes. The most important thing for fragile items is to make sure they are well padded. Get thicker boxes that are specially built for these wares.
PROTECT YOUR LARGER ITEMS
When we speak about your larger items, we are simply referring to the items you know you can never place inside a box, and particularly your home furniture. Most of the furniture we purchase are quite qualitative and expensive, and it would make no sense to damage them, only for you to replace them again by buying a new one. Large items like furniture, drawer, tables, chairs, doors, and other things should be protected against any form of damage. It would be very smart for you to get some of your friends to help move things around, or if you can’t get friends and neighbors to help you, you can hire professionals to help you finalize the entire process.
SPECIAL ITEMS SHOULD BE PACKED SEPARATELY
As much as we have deliberated on the list of items that we feel should be packed together, there are also items that you should never pack together because of their composition. Packing the wrong set of items together can damage the others placed in the box. Ideally, by common sense, it is not proper to pack chemicals and sharp objects together in the same bag, the result of this carelessness can be very detrimental to both your health and life. In the same manner, you should also pack medications and drugs in the same place but not together with other household items. If you know some chemicals might spill or leak, get them better containers before packing them. To give you a rough idea of some of the items that should not be packed together, please take a look at the examples below so that you can know what other items in that category to keep away from other items.
- Chemicals, such as ammonia, hydrogen peroxide, chlorine
- Auto batteries
- Paint and painting equipment
- Cooking gel or gas
FIND AN EASY METHOD TO OPEN YOUR BOXES
All the tips provided are beautiful, but the moment of frustration comes when you are trying to unpack and unload the boxes, you might have a hard time trying to open the box but find a quick-open method will cut down on the stress of unboxing when you move to your new place. One of the methods you can use to open your box faster and easily is by using a wool string. This method allows you to place a string of wool in between the middle of the box you want to seal with tape. After you tape over the string and leave some extra string to be pulled, you can easily open up the boxes when you finally want to unbox your items. This tip would make you feel happy about unboxing your items.
Moving on its own can be an incredibly tasking process for you, and you can bear witness to this, or you must have heard news from people close to you. There are different conditions for moving, and there are also different situations that are tied around moving, some are short distance moving, some are long distance moving, some are moving within the same area with some very precious materials. The case is always peculiar with each moving, among the hundreds of moving situations that may exist, and the odds, one of it is having a baby. That sounds like a spoiler right?
We know the process of having to arrange your things for a move has gotten the best of you already, but much worse is having a baby beside you that keeps pestering you while you try to get boxes and try to move things around. The noise the crying, the attention and everything mixed together can just bring a pause to your sanity and make you feel frustrated. We are very aware of this situation, and you happen to fall within this category of baby-odd, then we have gotten some tips we can help you with to make sure you do not lose your sanity to the whole of the demanding process. We want to assume that the reason why you are reading this blog right now is that you need help in that regard for the best practices to keep, and we have gathered a few effective tips you can use and also recommend to your friends who have a baby while trying to move.
REASON IT OUT AS A BIG HAPPY FAMILY
The first thing is to make sure each member of the family is fully aware of the moving process. It might come to you as a joke to speak to a baby about it, but the truth is that it is a psychological thing to speak to a baby about your moving. Older babies are actually smarter than you can imagine and they process every information they hear, so save yourself a lot of stress by explaining to the baby or babies your intentions of moving and see how things would work out. Never think they are too little to be left out of the equation, try to inform them before the moving day. A smart move would be to either make up a bedtime story about moving or read them a real one that involves moving, try to see how they loved the story and then chip it in that they would be moving too. However, they react to your story determines what you should expect on the actual moving day and afterward.
TRY TO GET HELP
This is very important for you to keep your sanity because what makes the moving process s little less stressful is how well you can keep your sanity, and having your baby around might not aid your sanity. Knowing your actual moving day, you should be able to get helping hands, either from a neighbor, a daycare service or even your family members, so that they are away from the whole mess and drama of moving. The mixture of the babies and the process of boxing your items is not pleasant in any way, and in a bid to still be normal during and after the entire moving process, you should get help.
Never take the risk of saying you can handle things on your own because you might regret it. In the middle of a serious move, you can take your eyes off your babies for a while, and the possible terrible outcomes that might befall the babies are a thousand and one, so “it’s better safe than sorry.” Strategizing in this way will make your plans turn out successful, it will give you a better concentration knowing your child is safe.
SET OUT A STRATEGY TO PACK YOUR BABY ITEMS
There is two way to go about packing your baby’s items; one way is that you can pack all of the essential things they need in a box, and label them, while the other way is to pack all of their non-essential items together in another box. In our opinion, it is always best to get the non-essential pack filled first because things that count as non-essentials are the toys, the blankets, clothes and every other thing you might not need immediately on the day you are going to move.
The essentials should be packed right after you have set your priorities straight with the non-essentials. Please note that items that count as essentials are the ones you would need when you are moving, or during the process, or immediately you get to your new place. This is a smarter way to have the things you use every day for your baby within a close range. The packing process would be a lot easier when you make a list of things that are needed, create a checklist and tick them off immediately you pack them into the boxes. Some of the essentials you should be needing are:
- Extra bags for dirty diapers and messy clothes
- Clothing and pajamas
- Bath items
- First aid kit and thermometer
- A security blanket or favorite stuffed animal
- Formula, juice and food
The rest of the list should be based on what you use for your baby frequently and cannot do without in one day.
GET A PORTABLE PLAYHOUSE FOR YOUR BABY
You should be familiar with the innovative pack and play little cribs made specifically for babies. It is confinement where you can place your baby in when you are moving things around, or when you are unpacking your boxes. They are particularly useful in helping restrict the movement of children within a particular space, so while you get distracted by the entire moving process, you can be sure they safe and sound in the corner you have placed them. You can pack some toys and place them in the portable crib so that your baby can have time to play while you move your things around.
Babies will always want to crawl around and explore, if you are careless, you can step on them, drop things on them, they could hurt themselves too, all accidentally, and it takes less than a minute for these mishaps to happen. Be conscious of every step you take, not only for your child but even for yourself, so you don’t end up hurting yourself.
IF YOU ARE DOING IT YOURSELF
DIY trucks are the trucks that you hire yourself to do the whole moving process yourself. For most of the trucks that are available for rental, there is no backseat, and you know what that means when you have a baby with you. Your baby would have to sit close to you, at the front seat, and you must be extra careful about how your baby handles the things beside them. Be smart enough not to add any sharp object that the baby can injure himself/herself with. You don’t want to have a terrible record attached to your moving date.
Similarly, if you are going through a plan, you will be given the TSA guidelines that expressly states the items that can be carried on a plane, especially when there is a child onboard. Make sure you consider these things. If you eventually find a truck that has a backseat, let your baby stay there, still with no object, and with the guidance of someone you trust.
RENTAL TRUCKS SHOULD NOT HAVE YOUR BABY IN THEM
We have stated this earlier, but we must reiterate to show the severity of this point. If you are a single parent and want to move your baby along with the rental truck, you should never consider it. The trucks are designed in a way to have airbags made for adults, not children, the impact of the airbag can hurt your child too, that’s why you are advised to go in your car while you follow the truck. A piece of advice, we understand you might hire from a list of truck rental companies, never put your baby in any of these trucks to ride along, if you love your children, you will do what is right.
YOUR BABY IS PRIORITY UPON MOVING
When you have no baby, your priority will be to set up a few places around the home, but when you have a baby all that changes. The first places you should set up upon moving in is your baby’s room because they need the comfort they can get. Inspect the baby’s room first, set everything necessary for the baby to have a safe playing space as well as a very clean and sanitized environment, so your baby doesn’t get any form of infection.
When you do this, the entire process of getting to know the new environment sets in faster. As your baby crawls around, trying to play, they get to have a feel of the new space better and this, in turn, can make them sleep well, while you can go ahead and handle other tasks in the home. Once the babies’ room is set, you can help yourself with other important things.
YOU NEED HELP
For those of you with babies, it would make perfect sense to hire and get help in as many places as you can because you have a baby, and better yet babies. From the time you start moving, if you are someone very aware and concerned about your baby, then you have to employ extra hands, like professional mover to help you to move and make the process faster. You can equally call your family and friends to help you with the process; it’s all up to you. Even if you try not try to take your mind off the fact that you have a baby during the process, you might still get going to check the baby, and that would slow you down, why don’t you hire professionals to help you.
Even after the move, you might still need to hire a babysitter to stay with your child while you and your spouse can face other important issues and get the new apartment in order. This is a very smart move if you want to work faster, the choice is yours to make, but if you feel it’s unnecessary, then you can skip this tip.
MAKE SURE YOU SAFEGUARD YOUR NEW HOME
This is another very important point because you have to make sure your new apartment doesn’t harm your baby. After setting up your baby’s room, the next thing you must do first is to baby-proof the entire house to avoid sad stories later. Everything that is considered potentially dangerous should be removed from the environment. Remember that as a rule of thumb, you should always do a deep clean of the new home even before moving in, during this process you will discover the faults in the home and things you need to correct to keep your baby safe. To help with a few safety measures that can be regarded as baby-proofing your home, we have gathered some points below.
- Use security doors to square stairways and unsafe territories.
- Keep little items like marbles, magnets, inflatables, and balls from babies and children because they can swallow them.
- Introduce smoke identifiers and carbon-monoxide alerts – make a point to change the batteries once every year.
- Know about lines on blinds and window medicines, and try to ward off lodgings from these stifling risks.
- protect electrical outlets with outlet covers to avoid electric shock for your babies
- Secure furniture to stay away from tip-overs.
- Use kid-safe bolts on drawers containing matches, lighters, blades and cleaning items.
- Ensure all medication and medicine cupboards are secured with tyke confirmation locks.
- Use window guards to secure your windows.
These safety tips and many more should be considered very carefully; you should also know by your discretion what things to put in place if your baby is a little hyper and all over the place. We are glad to help you with all these tips.
California is a cool stat to live in the United States with lots of natural and artificial edifices that are guaranteed to make life better. It is surrounded with a whole lot of mountains, beaches, glowing sunshine and also the home to Hollywood royalty, and the next big technology world of the Silicon Valley is located in California; these are some of the next big things that we cannot live without.
The weather in California is also a great one with beautiful people. For young people who love to engage in several outdoor activities as a way of relaxing and catching fun, the right place to live in is California as there are plenty of adventure such as surfing, skiing, sand-boarding on the desert that you can engage in.
If you are also looking for the best places that offers the best in education and healthcare, California ranks high amongst the cities in the United states and it also doubles as the largest economy in the U.S which means there are lots of economic opportunities available for young minds to explore and get good value for their time and skills.
These are some of the reasons why the influx of young adults that are either looking to start a new family or settle down with their existing families has been on the rise over the years. As a result of this, California is known to be the most populous state and largest economy in the United States as of today.
With the foregoing, it wouldn’t be out of place to highlight some of the best places that young adults can consider as being top places to settle down in California and as a result of this, we will be looking at a list of the top places to move to in California in the next section.
Best Places to Live in California as a Young Adult
The following are some of the best places to relocate to in California, and remember when you decide to move you can research and find out about reputable California moving companies that can help you with relocating. There are a whole lot of good California movers you can check out on the internet.
1. San Diego: San Diego is one of the best places that young adults can live in California, it is the second largest city in California only behind Los Angeles with a population of about 1.35 million. San Diego is a city with an infusion of diverse culture with different people from different cultural background interacting on a daily basis. The weather is also great as it has the most ideal climate in the summer in the whole of America. The nightlife is also a vantage point for San Diego and this is why it is known as the world-famous city for tourists especially the Gaslamp Quarter area of the city. Expectedly, the cost of living in San Diego is high and the rate varies from area to area depending on the suburb as there are plenty of areas that fall both in the inland and coastal regions, with each coming with their distinct advantages. San Diego is a great place for young families and adults, once they can afford the cost of living in this top city.
2. Palo Alto: Palo Alto is regarded as the “Birthplace of Silicon Valley”, and home to several high technology companies, with some top universities such as Stanford University located in this beautiful city. Several top public schools and best eateries are located in Palo Alto. The nightlife here is interesting as lots of clubs and bars are located in the city of Palo Alto.
3. Irvine: Irvine is a city with a population of around 240,000 and it is one of the smallest cities in California but it has a whole lot of side attractions that you can find in any city that rank among the best in the world. It is located in the sunny Orange County and it is one of the safest and wealthiest cities in the United States and this is why you will find Irvine in the top lists of Best Places to live in the world. It offers several economic benefits from top well-paying jobs to over 200 Fortune 500 companies located in the city, with a rail system that connects the town to other popular centers such as Los Angeles. The cost of living here is also on the high side but any investment on properties in Irvine promises high rate of return as it is a hot cake among foreign investors and real-estate investors.
4. Manhattan Beach: Manhattan is located in a small town in Southern California with a population of around 35,000. Manhattan is home to lots of recreational facilities, which includes beautiful hotels, parks, and lots of picnic spots where families can get to have a nice time with lots of fun. The cost of living here is high which is the reason for the low population but yes who cares? As far as the many benefits that come with living Manhattan Beach is concerned, it is a great place to get good value for your money and rent paid in getting a home in such a city.
5. Mountain View: Mountain View is home of the most popular technology brand in the world, Google with a population of less than 800,000 residents and located in Northern California. It is home of lots of political, cultural, and technological activities which makes it a real deal to live in this beautiful city. Rent in this part of California averages around $1,700 a month but the whole cost of rent and living expenses is augmented by the high-paying jobs available in Manhattan Beach.
These are some of the top cities in California that young adults can live in, some other exciting places include Lake Forest, Davis, Redlands, Sacramento, Santa Barbara, Murrieta, Clovis, Newport Beach, Folsom, Yuba City, and Beaumont among others.
Los Angeles movers are some of the best movers you will find in the United States. Hence, when you are planning to move into or from Los Angeles, you can be guaranteed that you will get very good and reliable movers who can help you to get the job done in the best way possible. Some of the reputable Loos Angeles movers include Daniel’s Moving and Storage, Shleppers Moving and Storage, Suddath relocation, and West Coast Movers among others.
Tips for Finding Good Los Angeles Movers
One vital tips in finding a good Los Angeles mover is to ensure that you ask enough question in order to ensure that they cover all aspects of your moving needs before signing the dotted lines. Engaging a wrong or bad mover can make your relocation a nightmare as a whole lot of things could go south. Hence, it is important that you do your due diligence and read reviews about the moving company you want to engage before you finalize the deal. Here are some vital tips that will help you find the best local and commercial movers in Los Angeles, California;
- Licensing: Make sure that your chosen moving company is licensed. This is not difficult to know as you can check this up with the United States Department of Transportation. Also, be sure that they meet all regulations as required by the California government law for moving and handling people’s belongings and goods.
- Check on Insurance: A good and reputable moving company is expected to be insured. Hence, you have to check and be sure that your moving company is well-insured as this is required by the California moving law. This will ensure that your goods and belongings are safe in case of any eventuality that may occur in the process of moving from one point to another.
- Request for Quote and Prices: Have your movers to come to your home in order to carry out an on-site survey so that they can have a good idea of what the job entails. It is based on their inspection and survey that they will prepare a quote for you. You can invite more than one mover to your home so that you can have the opportunity to compare and contrast quotes and then you can choose the one with most favorable quote and promises of good service delivery.
- Don’t Engage Companies that Switch Names: Avoid engaging moving companies that are involve in the act of periodical change of name as this is a red flag and you should at all cost avoid engaging such moving companies.
- Get References on Movers: You can also ask friends and families who have moved in the past for their recommendations and experiences they have had with moving companies they have used in the past. You can also check on the website of America Moving and storage Association to get a list of reputable and dependable Los Angeles Movers.
- Online Reviews: One way to cut down the list of moving companies at your disposal, is to read online reviews so that you can filter out those with bad or negative reviews. To read reviews online, you can visit websites such as www.movingfeedback.com, www.movingcomapnyreviews.com, and www.mymovingreviews.com among others.
- Years of Experience: Another thing to consider in engaging a moving company in Los Angeles, California is the number of years that the moving company has been in operation. This will give you an idea of their reliability, and competence as the companies that have been in operation for longer years are more reliable compared with those with just few years of being in operation. Hence, when you are planning to engage a moving company in Los Angeles, always consider their years of experience in the moving business.
- Do Not Sign a Blank Contract: One thing you should avoid when engaging a moving company is to sign a blank contract. Do not try it; make sure you go through all the terms and conditions, and ask questions where necessary before signing the dotted lines. Make sure that all you need to get done is stated and captured in the quotes before you sign. This will save you a whole lot of stress and argument with your moving company.
- Ask Your Movers the Hard Questions: No question is too hard or too small to ask your movers. Do not consider any question as being irrelevant or not important, make sure you ask them every bit of question whenever you notice any grey area or any part of the deal that is not clear to you.
The best moving commercial moving companies in Los Angeles, California should offer the following:
- Valuable years of experience as far as delivering top notch moving services for their customers is concerned.
- An excellent online presence compared to their competitors.
- Well-trained and experienced movers to help you get the job done seamlessly so that you don’t have to bother yourself while you engage in other personal activities.
- Willingness to visit your home to evaluate the size and weight of your belongings or goods in order to provide a free estimate.
- Clearly answer all your questions so that you can fully understand their terms of engagement and contract.
- Provide incentives in form of added services like unloading and packing among others.
- Be polite and conduct themselves in a polite way to their clients.
These are some of the best ways and things to do in engaging a reputable moving company in Los Angeles that will help you have a seamless and hassle-free relocation into and from Los Angeles, California. Another good thing to do is to ensure you start planning ahead of time s that you don’t rush things over and also incur high moving rates.
Planning is important in all things will do and this is not different from when you decide to relocate. You have to plan ahead by taking things one step at a time as a result of this it will be good if you start your planning at least two to three months ahead of your move date.
Moving your property from your current home to another home has not really been a problem lately, because there are numerous moving companies that will make sure your properties are moved to your new location safely. Moving might not necessarily be a problem, but the cost of moving can be somehow expensive, so you don’t just wake up and call the moving company to come and get your items moved, it is of great importance that before you engage the services of a moving company, you should most importantly have a proper idea of what the entire moving process will cost you, so you can make the necessary financial preparations.
Moving companies can help you get cost quotes, and you can plan financially with the cost quotes. There are basically two types of move the moving companies recognize, and the move type you make use of will also affect the amount you are to pay, or you will be charged. The two types of moves are the intrastate and the local move. The intrastate move is moving from one state to another or one country to another; this move means the moving company would have to take a long ride to get to your destination. The local move means moving from one location to another in the same state; the moving company does not really spend much time in this, so their charges are relatively low compared to intrastate moves.
When moving there are two ways in which movers estimate your cost, the binding and the non-binding moving estimate. It is very important that you have the knowledge of these two types of estimates or you will end up just accepting any estimate given to you by the moving company. Do not be in a heist to agree for a less expensive estimate, learn the difference between the non-binding moving estimate and the binding moving estimate. This article will expose you to both the binding and the non-binding estimate, how they work and their differences.
Binding Moving Estimate
The binding estimate is more like stating a particular price or cost for your move before the move day; this estimate provides the general cost of relocating or moving after a survey of your items you intend moving. This estimate is the best in terms of accuracy of the cost of relocating that you can get from the movers.
For the binding moving estimate, the cost of moving or estimate of moving depends on the weight of the property you are moving, square feet of automobile that your items are going to be arranged into, or the two are combined. The binding estimate generally is more expensive than that of the non-binding, since the binding estimate involves signing an agreement that would restrain any further increase in price different from what has been in the original documents.
Let us say the moving company came to your home for an estimation, they completed the process and gave you the estimated weight which they got the binding price from, the price given to you is binding, this means whatever the case may be, you are paying that very price. If the items the moving company estimated weighed more than the one you were charged for, ordinarily you ought to pay more, but because the price is binding, you will pay only the amount quoted, on the second, if the items on the day of the moving weighed less than what was weighed when the survey took place this means you have been charged more since your items weighed lesser; ordinarily there ought to be a discount in this scenario, but you just have to pay what has been quoted since it is binding.
As much as there is an already fixed cost of moving this doesn’t mean you will leverage on it and play tricks with the measure of goods to be moved. If you intend doing this, just have it in mind that the movers also have a legal right to increase the price of moving in some cases which are if you decide to add extra properties that were not in the agreement or the moving company had to spend money while moving your property on things that were not included in the documents. So the bindings moving estimate is not all that binding since the moving company still has the right to make changes in some given circumstances like the one mentioned above.
Generally, for the majority of binding estimates, it is just the part of transportation( the cost gotten from weighing the property to be moved) that is binding. For example, if you plan with the moving company that you are going to self-pack ( pack and arrange your property yourself) and you failed to do so, leaving the moving company to pack, that's an extra cost, and it’s going to reflect on the final bill as transportation cost
The problem of the binding estimate is that one must know the exact stuff to be moved and that which will not be moved. What happens when the moving company has already estimated the cost of moving the items you selected and on the move day you discover that you really have to move some other important items, and they were not in your inventory, if the moving company is to make room for this item then you have incurred additional cost because you are going to pay for the extra items added.
The easy way of getting through this without having to incur extra cost is to make sure you mark out properly the items you intend moving and those that are not to be moved. When you have properties that are not availably visible it can hinder the binding moving estimate process, because the moving company wants the weight of the item and if it can not be gotten wherefore leaving them stranded and uncertain of what to charge for such items, the moving company might end up not being able to get you a binding estimate.
Some of the rules of the binding estimate are;
- The moving company is not permitted to add an extra charge in the process of the moving without seeking the consent or the permission of the customer whose items are being moved. The customer can only pay that exact amount that was agreed in the binding estimate as at the delivery time, if there were reasons for incurring extra expenses, and the customer is asked to pay an additional amount, that extra amount to be paid by the customer is going to be billed separately from the original binding estimate given to the customer.
- The company that is to move the customers items or property is to make sure they provide a written document to the customer, this written document must be given to the customer before the day of the move, this will give the client enough time to go through the entire document and see if there are any errors of omission or any wrongly entered data, so that correction and adjustments can be made before the day of moving.
- There must be proof that the estimate is binding; therefore, the moving company must acknowledge it in their estimate, that the estimate that is given to the customer is binding. The moving company must also attach to the bill of lading a copy of the estimate that is binding. The moving company is to state in their document that the estimate that was given is for the following services which will be listed in the document.
- If there are any additional items that are included in the items without the moving company’s notice and this item was not listed among the items that the estimated binding is to cover, then the moving company has all the right to reject the service and make another binding estimate which is called the revised binding estimate so as to include the extra item and this will give the moving company an opportunity to charge you at a higher rate relative to what you were charged for other goods. It is an emergency service, so do well to avoid cases like this if you don’t want to spend extra cash.
Non-Binding Moving Estimate
I will use the term “casual estimate” to make it simple for you to digest. A Non-Binding Moving Estimate is the value of your moving giving to you that is subject to changes based on some factors. This Non-Binding estimate is less accurate relative to the binding estimate because this does not require any surveyor coming to your home and get estimates of what is to be moved, the quote can be given over the telephone or online. It is called Non-Binding because they know that their estimate might not be correct so they cannot bind you to it and they do not want to be binding to it in case there is need to increase the cost.
In simple term it is the opinion of the company as to what your final price would be of your moving after you discuss the services you want with them, this means that if at the end, your moving estimate increases more than the company’s estimate, you will have to pay more, it’s non-binding, and on the other hand if your cost of moving becomes lower than the estimated company's moving cost, you pay the less amount because it is non-binding.
A non-binding moving estimate leaves the client vulnerable to being scammed because the cost given is approximated. Some moving companies use the non-binding moving estimate to defraud clients by practically giving clients low cost to convince them into taking their offer but at the end bring out outrageous bills for clients to pay. Clients are easily scammed because the estimates are given free of charge making it one of the most commonly used estimate.
For those that intend relocating, this non-binding estimate is best to get what your moving cost would look like, not the actual cost though, hence giving you time to make financial arrangements against the estimated amount though not accurate. Generally, the actual cost you will end up paying might be higher than the estimated amount. This estimate is more like a warning estimate that tells you what you should be expecting before the real cost comes. You can call it a preparative estimate. The non-binding moving estimate has a procedure of not letting the mover ask you to pay above the agreed amount.
The general recommendation for the binding moving estimate and the non-binding moving estimate is that they both serve different occasions, so there is no baseline for checking if the non-binding moving estimate is better than the binding estimate or if the binding moving estimate is a better option relative to Non-Binding moving estimate.
Though picking the option of the binding moving estimate might cost you more relatively but you will have a crystal clear picture of what is coming in regards to the cost and this, in turn, will give you a better chance of planning financially over the person that picks the non- binding moving estimate.
Going with the option of the non-binding moving estimate is relatively cheap but not concrete, in that, it is just a stated amount given to you by your mover, and it will definitely change. If you are going to use the non-binding moving estimate, the most effective way to go about it is getting multiple estimates from different moving companies, since you might not really know if the estimate is fair by just using a single moving company, so getting multiple quotes is the best way of knowing whose quotes are fair and whose are not fair. When getting multiple estimates, what everyone would generally want to opt for is the estimate with the lower cost, but be careful of too low estimates and be alert of scam, since this strategy is used by some companies to get clients and at the end of the move, bring out an outrageous bill for clients to pay.
Finally, you have gotten a new apartment after all the stress. Now, you are wondering how you will move. Out of every moving phase, one of the most important parts is the mover. If you have a crappy mover, you may have a crappy moving job in your hands. This is why it is of great importance that you look for a good mover. How can you tell a professional from a scam? When you get the moving company, you have to be rest assured that they will do the right job. This is why it is advisable to run a background check on the moving company. How good are they? Have they had clients that complained? Have prior clients complained about things getting missing? It is important to know that the mover you use will have access to you, your properties, and your new home.
Below are tips that you should follow to get good movers and not scams.
1. Large Down Payment
Usually, a lot of legitimate movers only request that you make a bit of a down payment before the job is done. They do not ask for everything to be paid before they move your things.
After asking for small down payment before they start the job, they expect that you make the rest payment on delivery, immediately they are done with the job.
This allows the firm to be held liable for ensuring that your properties get to their destination quickly and in a safe manner.
If you see a moving company that requests that you make a large down payment, you should consider taking your business elsewhere because that screams of scam.
Once they get the entire sum before movement, what will make them come over on the D-day and move you?
2. Cash-Only Payments
One thing you should know is that if you made a cash payment, you tend to get a higher value for your cash, but once you notice that it is only cash payments that the movers accept, you should be careful. If they don't accept anything else, apart from cash, you should run to the hills. It is advisable that you opt for credit card payments because it leaves a paper trail. If you have some disputes, how can you prove that you made payments if you opted for cash? The paper trail of a credit card can act as proof.
One can tell a legitimate mover from those that are scams by looking at how many payment forms that they have. If they don't have more than one, you should consider taking your business elsewhere. Ask them if they accept credit payments, as a legitimate one should. After that, you can decide to use such a payment form or cash.
3. Extremely Low Rates
A company that asks for a large down payment should leave you suspicious; the same can be said for very low rates. If you notice that the rates are too low, your red flag meter should start waving.
One thing you should know is that moving is not a job that is done for a very affordable price. No one can do that, that's the basic truth. One thing you should note is that moving is not affordable, and once you find something like that, there is a great chance that it is a scam.
The moving firm has vehicles to take care of and fuel; it also has employees that it has to pay and so on.
Whatever estimates a moving company gives you should be compared with different estimates from another firm. How does it look like? Are the estimates too cheap for now? One thing you should know is that scams will give you a very cheap estimate at first, then on the moving day, they tell you that the rates have increased because of one flimsy reason or the other. At that moment, they know that finding a moving company will be almost impossible for you.
4. No Logo
It won't be a bad idea to look at their moving trucks. If you can, please do. See what kind of moving trucks they use. Are their logos on the trucks? Do the trucks look good or seem like things that came out of a freak show? These things should be considered. If you can't see the trucks, you can ask around. Who has used the moving company before? Did they use a marked moving truck or not?
If you notice that your moving company comes on the D-day with a truck that is not marked with their logo, or a rental truck, you should become suspicious.
Every legitimate mover embeds their logo on their moving truck, and that's the basic truth. Many of these movers use a rolling billboard to advertise their firm, while they get paid to move your properties around. If you notice that your moving company doesn't have a logo on the truck, and you can't see their phone number on it, there is a great chance that it can't be termed a legitimate one.
5. No Address or Office
A lot of companies, especially the movers, have running and updated websites. Their online presence can give you a hint if the company is legitimate or not. The internet is a perfect place to find scams. Sometimes, it is advised that before you use a product or service, you search the internet to see how legitimate it is. You can start by searching the name of the product or company and put 'scam' on it. There is a great chance that you will get hits if the company is a scam. Look at the moving company's website. How does it look like? Did you notice reviews? How genuine do they look? Do some companies fake their reviews? Do they have similar wording?
Does the website have an address of the mover written there? Is the address just a city or a P.O. box? Whatever moving company that you opt for should have an address.
Once you see the address, it is important to find out if it is genuine. You can track out if an address is really a building that houses companies or merely an empty lot. Find out yourself if you don't want to be scammed or be offered crappy services.
6. No Bill of Lading
Every legitimate mover will ask to sign a contract with you. Immediately you agree to use them; they will expect that you append your signature on their contract, this is usually called a Bill of Lading (BOL).
What the bill of lading contains are things like estimated price, delivery date, as well as the needed supplies. Whatever BOL that you append your signature on should have words that specify that you won't have to make extra payments like driver's fee or compulsory tip. What you agreed on should be what is paid. This should be written on the contract.
The BOL shouldn't be ignored because it ensures that both your properties and interests should be protected. You don't want your properties missing.
7. Many Extreme Reviews
Look at the reviews of the company, how are they like? Before you hire any moving company, you have to look at their reviews? Are they commendable or scary? If you notice that they have amassed a lot of negative reviews, you should consider running to the hills. This most likely means that their services are nothing to write home about and should be avoided.
If you notice that every review there seems too positive, then there is a great chance that the reviews were faked.
Look at the reviews that were written concerning a moving company on a popular review site before you make that decision.
A great way to see if a company is legitimate or a scam is to see if they have been certified as a ProMover at American Moving & Storage Association (AMSA).
This program was created in a bid to find scam movers while telling clients what movers are professional and reputable.
If you can't find your moving company there, then you know what to do, run for your life.
8. Scheduling Trouble
If you notice that the movers keep postponing the move, then you should become very suspicious. Sometimes, change of schedule may occur, but it should only be once. Once it becomes more than one, you should consider running to the hills, when the scheduling changes become a lot, there is a high tendency that it is a scam. Try and look for another mover.
If you wait for this moving company, you may notice that in the end, you will be frustrated. One thing we advise people to do is never tolerate tardiness that occurs more than once because you may end up paying for it. This is why when you sign a contract, you look at the conditions attached to it. Are there any hints that you can't back out of the contract as long as you give them the necessary notification? If there are, this may affect you later when you notice that they are tardy. At that moment, you won't be able to do without them because you agreed to unfavorable terms. Whatever contract you sign should have the terms that are beneficial to you.
9. Lax Phone Etiquette
When you call them on the phone, how do they sound? Do they sound like they are bored and irritated by your call? Do they sound professional? Once you call them, what do they say? Do they state the name of the moving company? If you call a cross country moving company, and they answer with 'movers,' or 'hello,' you may be onto a rogue mover. Are they nice? Or rude? No matter how nice they are, and there is no level of professionalism in the way that they interact with you, they are most likely a scam.
Call them on the phone and listen to their tone. What did you notice about the interactions? Are they too playful? Too serious?
One thing you should note that is if they are either too playful or too serious, then there is a problem. They should be friendly and professional at the same time.
Try to hear what's happening at the background while the conversation is ongoing. Is the person on the other end, shushing someone close to him? Can you hear kids playing about? What of screaming? It is quite easy to find out if someone is a scam or not by listening. Sometimes, the signs may be there, but since you are not alert, you may not notice them.
This saves you from falling into the arms of a scam.
10. No On-Site Quote
A lot of moving firms are known to send their representative to your home before they come up with an estimate. This is done because the moving prices usually are not dependent on solely the distance between the old house and the new one. It also encompasses the number of properties you have, and how much they weigh.
A lot of homeowners usually possess more properties than they may have thought. A professional representative looks at the house and tries to draft a quote that is dependent on the estimated weight.
If you get a mover and they don't come to see what you have in your apartment, your red flag meter should be moving. A good mover must come to your house to look at what you have, and make estimates from there.
Why is this important? If they don't come to see what you have, they may end up giving an estimate that's not realistic.
Before Your Move
Moving into a new home can be exciting as it is an opportunity to get used to a new environment, new apartments, and there are a whole lot of things to do to make yourself comfortable in the new home. It might be difficult to do all at once because of the enormous work that may be required. However, with time you will get to do these things one after the other in order of their priority. We will be highlighting some of the major things to do after moving into a new house and the points we will be listing here are in no particular order.
15 Things to Do After Moving into A New House:
1. Change Your Locks: One of the most important thing to do when you move into a new house id to change the locks to ensure you are the only one who has the keys to your apartment. Call a locksmith to help you install deadbolts just to be guaranteed that your new home is secured.
2. Get A List of Emergency numbers: Once you move into your new home, make sure you get a list of all emergency numbers to call in case of any eventuality. After getting a list of the emergency numbers in the neighborhood, type it out and have it pasted in the house where every member of the family can easily have access to it in case of any emergency. A good place to paste it is on the refrigerator.
3. Set Up Security: Set up a home security system as fast as possible so that you can have peace of mind as it is a new home and you don’t want to start calling for help in a new neighborhood. If you have a security system already installed, call the security company to help you activate it and you change the security codes.
4.Arrange Furniture: Arrange your furniture according to your floor plan, create a unique space that suits you using beautiful layouts. Remember it is a new space and you have to make it look beautiful.
5. Clean your new House: make re you clean your house before you start to unpack. You don’t want to start unpacking your belongings in a dirty home to avoid the whole thing turning into a mess.
6. Unpack your Items: To avoid searching through boxes for your items six months down the line after moving, you have to take the time to unpack your items and fix them in appropriate places. This can be a difficult task as it may take some time but the earlier you do it the better. If you think it’s going to take so much of your time, you can do it gradually and in no time you will be done.
7. Take Inventory as You Unpack: Taking inventory as you unpack will help you know if all your belongings made it to your new home without any damage or loss.
8. Steam Clean Carpets: It is important to steam clean your carpets before moving in your furniture in order to get your new home started on a fresh start. You can employ the services of a professional carpet cleaning service to get this done for you.
9. Wipe out Your Cabinets: It is good to get off to a hygienic start in your new home. Hence, you will need to clean and wipe the outside and inside of your cabinets and bathroom before you start arranging your dishes and bathroom supplies accordingly.
10. Ensure Utilities Are Functioning: Notify the utilities companies s that they are aware you are moving in. Get the trash and sewer companies in the know, call the gas supply station to transfer gas, and also call the power supply companies to make sure you have electricity. Fixing all utilities will ensure you have all you need from the start and that way you will be comfortable in your new home.
11. Establish Internet Connectivity: Most of the security apparatus and systems installed in homes today use internet. The CCTV cameras, digital doorbells, and some other home-based apps run on the availability of internet, s you will need to fix a Wi-Fi in your home. Call the tech guys to get all these fix as fast as possible.
12. Meet Your Neighbors: Let other people who reside in your neighborhood know you, introduce yourself to them s that you are not seen as an intruder. This step is also important for security reasons.
13. File an Insurance Claim: If you have a moving insurance in place and you discover that some of your items are damaged or missing, then you will need to submit a claim. This may take some time so you will need to be patience and persistent but in the end it will be worth your time and effort.
14. Get Used to the Main Water Valve and Circuit Breaker Box: You need to get acquainted to the circuit breaker so that you know which one to turn off if you need to isolate light or water from getting to certain part of the house. For example, if you need to change a broken light in your bathroom, you need to know which breaker to disengage so that light does not supply to the bathroom. That way you will be safe not to get electrocuted while you change the broken light. Also, it is important to know how to turn off the main water valve in case of a plumbing emergency.
15. Check for any Leakage: You can invite a home inspector to help you check all pipes and installed plumbing spares to ensure they are all in good shape. That way you will be able to prevent any kind of leakage. Leakages can be very bad especially if they are not easily visible; it will accumulate over time and cause some damages that may require lots of effort to fix. Give special attention to your running toilets and faucets, and water heater for any leakage sign.
Doing all these will help you to start off in your new home the right way and manner that will give you maximum comfort.
How to Ship a Car to Another State
Shipping your car to another state is obviously a task that you cannot handle on your own, the task needs to be outsourced to an auto shipping company. Hence, your first assignment in shipping your car to another state is to search for available auto shipping companies that is safe, secure, licensed, and affordable at the same time.
There are certain things you will like to avoid when shipping your car and as a result of this you need to get a transportation company that will guarantee you the following;
- They must be able to deliver your car to your preferred destination as at when due without compromising on the agreed arrival time.
- The car must arrive the new location safely without any damage being done to it, which means there should be no scratches, no paint chips, and no dents whatsoever inflicted on the car.
- Their services must be affordable and yet they must be of top-quality at the same time.
- The whole transportation process has to be seamless without you having to leave other important things you need to attend to and of course, this is the reason why you have decided to engage the services of an experienced auto transportation company.
The first thing to do in shipping a car to another state is to source for aa dependable and trustworthy company that is licensed, secured, and insured and other things will naturally fall in place.
Just like moving from one place to another may be tedious so also moving a car to another state may also be tedious. The bulk of the whole task stops at putting logistics right before, during, and after moving to your new location. If all logistics are in place, then definitely whether you are moving your car or anything else like a piano will be seamless.
I will be highlighting a few steps to be taken when you are moving your car to another state. These steps will guide you and help you have a good experience whenever you plan to move your car.
1. Choose a Shipping Company
Getting a right shopping company is the foundation to everything else you will need to do to have an enjoyable moving experience. If you get the choice correct you are in for a good time. However, if you are unlucky to go with the wrong company, everything might just out a mess, so it is good to take your time to source for the right company. Some of the things you need to do to make the right choice of shipping company are a s follows;
- Check Auto/Shipping Transporter Review: The best measure of future performance is to evaluate past performances, so before you engage any auto transport company make sure you read reviews about them from independent sites so that you don’t read reviews that have been doctored. Find out what their clients say about them, ask friends and families for recommendations.
- Compare Prices: In as much as you want quality services, you still would not want to go outside your budget, s it is good to get quotes from different companies and you compare to make your final decision.
- Check Their Registration: Make sure your selected shipping company is registered and has a valid US Dot number on their website. With this you can know if the company is legitimate or not.
- Liaise With Your Auto Transport Company: Call your auto transporter to have an idea of their professionalism and responsiveness. Try to know if they will answer your call and how fast they will reply to your message or get back to you.
2. Book A Viable Shipping Date
After you have settled for a shipping company, the next thing is to book an available shipping date. Carefully evaluate your situation and select a date and book ahead of time; at least two weeks earlier s that you can get good rates and delivery dates. If you book too close to your move date, it will be considered as an emergency shipment and it will cost more.
3. Prepare Your Car
Make sure you prepare and get your car ready for shipping before the pickup date and time. A few things you need to do in order to get your car ready may include;
- Wash the outside and inside of your car; this will make it easier for you to notice any scratch, and dents that may appear on the car in transition.
- Inspect your car with the tracker.
- Take picture where necessary before your car is transported.
- Empty your tank so that it does not add weight to your car but ensure you have enough fuel that will be enough for unloading and loading.
- Remove all your personal belongings by clearing all you have in the car.
- Handover your car keys to the driver.
- Remove any removable part in your car s that it doesn’t get missing in transition.
- Deactivate your car alarm.
4. Pick Your Car
Your shipping company will give you a delivery window that includes the timing when your car will be delivered. This may take few weeks depending on your destination. You will need to monitor the progress of the job by communicating with your shipper from time to time and also this can be done through a tracker. Your shipping company should provide a means with which you can track your car through a GPS enabled tracker.
Finally, upon delivery, make sure you inspect your car for any damages, dents, and scratches, among others. If your car arrived in good condition, then you can sign the bill of loading. If you find any kind of scratches, dents, or damages you can use the document to file a claim.
Moving your car to another state requires a lot of effort and as such you should make necessary plans ahead of time and make sure you engage a top professional auto transport company to get the job done for you and you will enjoy the whole process without you having to move a morsel.
You may be moving to a new state after retirement, to take up a new job, to be closer to your family, or to seek medical attention or family circumstances. Once you have made up your mind to leave, you are expected to have a busy schedule during the months or weeks of preparation, whether you believe the change is good for you or not. If moving to a new place can be hectic, imagine moving to a new state. It can be one of the daunting periods in our lives, and it’s our approach and preparation towards it that will determine whether we finish it with the best results or a series of headaches.
First of all, it is important to note that moving to a new state is a matter which can go positive with the needed preparation or go sour in the process. This is true due to many reasons. One of such reasons is that you are moving to somewhere completely different. It is not in the locality or in that same state. Moving would probably take you to a state that has different laws, beliefs, and people. It is therefore only normal that you set for yourself a checklist which would help you to prepare adequately for the move.
Thankfully, here are some tips to consider when making this life-changing decision without losing your mind:
1. Research ahead of time
Moving is not something that one wakes up in the morning and undertakes. It needs a series of careful research and planning. Ensure you research about almost everything:
- The weather condition: Research about the weather condition in that area, especially when you or a family member is easily susceptible to abrupt weather changes. Does it get too cold? Does it get too hot? Does the weather change abruptly? What pieces of clothing would I need at those times?
It goes a long way in helping you adapt, so you don’t get caught off by surprise.
- New school for the kids: research about good schools in the area that your kids can attend, whose cost of education is affordable. Also, check the walking distance from your intended home to the school to aid you especially when they’ll need their transport fare
- Cost of living: Even though your workplace may be around that area, ensure that you research the cost of living. Is the cost of food expensive? What of fuel and other utilities? Are the costs one that would not cripple your income? If it is, you can find other alternative locations or ask for a salary raise.
- Job opportunities for your spouse: If a job transfer for one means the loss of job for another, it’s essential you get on right away with looking for another job around the area for your spouse, no matter how small, till he/she stands on his feet. This way, it will relieve a bit of the financial burden. Drop in his/her CV, make calls and send letters! You never know what opportunities are lurking around.
Also, suggestions for restaurants, local businesses, places of worship, recreational centers and other places can be found on the internet. It’s just a click away.
2. Visit your new state and find a home
It's very advisable to visit your new state at least once to have a feel of what staying there entails. You can also use this time to verify the things and places you researched on the internet. Also, ideally, you would want to find a place before making preparations. Most times our wealth of knowledge is limited to certain areas, so it is safer to hire a realtor to explain the rudiments of buying a house. Hiring one is essential as they are already familiar with the marketplace and will help guide you through the house hunting process. This will prevent you from hopping from one place to another and streamlines your options. Ensure you get quotations from two or more dealers to weigh their prices and make the best choice
3. Plan, plan, plan!
Nothing in life ever succeeds without a plan. It's highly essential that you draft a plan as moving to another state would not be cheap. Start with how much you are willing to spend on the move, then carefully outline the different expenses – cost of acquiring a new home, school fees, hiring trucks and the different payments you may have to make – you can also find out if your employer is willing to cover part of the moving costs for you
4. Research moving companies
Do adequate research on companies that move properties between states. Ensure that they are honest, trustworthy and reliable. It is strongly recommended that you get quotations from three or more different moving companies and weigh their prices. An ideal moving company should perform an inspection of your properties either directly or through a video before quoting a price. If the company gives you a quotation over the internet without inspecting your properties or an unrealistic one, it’s much better to avoid those companies for your safety and that of your family.
There are also other cheaper and safer alternatives that you could consider. For instance, you can rent a portable moving container, those that act as temporary storage containers. Another alternative is to rent a big moving truck and drive it yourself or get a friend to help. You can also rent those large freight moving trailers. These trucks are easy to come by and are a big means of saving money. Remember, you are on a budget. However, you should always stick to getting a moving company to do the hard work for you. They know their way around, and they were trained specifically for these kinds of jobs. Thus, they are your best bet when moving.
If you are looking for a way to get a reliable one and the internet throws nothing at you, you can also try getting some good reviews from your friends or family who have been on the move in recent times. You can be assured that you would get just the right one for you.
5. Time to throw out the non-essentials
This is very important especially when your new home is smaller than the previous. Decide whether those items that are not being used or not used often are to be discarded or given out to charity. This helps you to de-clutter and pack only things that will be essential. You’d always have another opportunity to get a new one.
6. Map out a strategic parking plan
Now the work begins! This is not about waking up one morning and throwing your stuff in a box. You need a proper plan to aid you in the packing process as it is very easy to get distracted and disorganized and have it handy throughout your packing period.
7. Gather all records
one thing which has the benefit of telling your life and what you have done for a particular period are your records. Therefore, you should ensure that you have everything well documented and packed. From your tax payment receipts, driver’s license, house rent receipts (if you stay in an estate), employers’ letter to the receipts of your appliances and furniture payments, ensure that ALL records into a sealed box or pack for easy identification in case of emergencies.
It is also important to note that you would also be in a new state with your physician. It would be a good thing especially to get your medical records from your doctor to keep your new physician aware of all medical conditions that you are currently going through. You can always get one by registering in a hospital in your new state.
8. Pack, pack, pack! - Time for Work!
- It is highly recommended that you pack the non-essentials, the items that you use once in a year, once in three months or occasionally, like books, electronics, home décor, costumes, etc. and pack the important things, the ones you use every day or week, like your kitchenware, utensils, dinnerware, toiletries, etc. last. Ensure that you pack all the essentials in clearly labeled boxes.
- Except you have a deadline to meet, ensure you pack room by room, advisably one day at a time. This will give you more time to sort out the items carefully and decide the ones that will be discarded.
- It’s important that you use moving boxes because those boxes tend to be stronger especially for an interstate move. It also prevents liquid from spilling on the surface and staining those who are carrying it.
- Also be very cautious of things you cannot pack because of the risk and harmful effects, like aerosol, fertilizer, lighter fluid, bleach, ammonia, nail polish remover, paint cans, any type of gas or flammable oil, ammunition, pesticides, poisons, etc. Do well to make a separate arrangement if they are going to be necessary for your new home.
- Ensure that you do not box up your valuables. Personally package your legal documents, important papers, expensive pieces of jewelry and other values to avoid cases or theft or misplaced boxes.
- No matter how exhausting and tiring it may seem, do not procrastinate. Start packing your box several weeks before your moving day, especially if you are doing it alone. If you work at your own pace, you will be gradually become organized, and the work may not be as daunting as it looks. The sooner you get started, the sooner you start living your life in your new home.
9. Inform others that you’re moving out
Friends for a lifetime! Inform your close friends and family members that you are moving out, and also give them the address of your current workplace and home to stay in touch. Who knows? Your friends might even organize a sendoff party in your honor amidst tears and hugs. Can someone please grab a tissue?
10. Other Important Issues
There are many other things which you would have to fix and get prepared for during this period. One of them would have to do with changing your address. There are valid reasons as to why you should do it on time. One of these reasons is that emails come in every day and could contain very important information. If your address remains unchanged to your old house, you might miss your mail, or it might be delayed for a very long time. This could see you miss important events and opportunities in your life.
You can easily change your address using the USPS in your state some days before you move. It is also very important that you cancel all the services or memberships which you might have made for that month. These could include memberships at school, in a club and so much more. It should only be allowed to stay if you have a way of continuing it from your new state (that would be very unlikely though!) to avoid more costs, you should ensure that you change the utility setting. The utilities in your former house would still be under you. It is important that you transfer the utilities so that you do not have to double pay in your first month at least. This would ensure that you do not incur unnecessary costs. This can easily be done by contacting the companies who are in charge of your utilities in the state. You should have it settled in less than no time.
Here you have it! Moving to a new state can be amazing. Ensure that you have your local moving company ready to move your things for you before you leave. This would ensure that you are all ready and set up in your new home as soon as possible. It would be really fun!
You finally did it! You got your new house or property, and everything seems to be moving just as you planned. You negotiate the prices of your new property and settle all the expenses that come with it. You are ready to move. All that remain is just MOVING. Does this sound familiar? It probably does! Every year, thousands of people are on the move from one place to another. Some of these relocations may even include leaving the country for somewhere else while others could simply mean that you are to move locally.
If you are all set to move locally, then you would no doubt be looking for ways to get your stuff over to your new place. For most people, the perfect thing to do is to get the right professionals to do the job-local movers!
Sounds easy right? However, it is not that easy. While we know that we need local movers, we also know that to get the right local movers could prove to be a challenge indeed. That is why we have made this article to guide you on the steps and things you would need to be on the lookout for when you are hiring local movers. Ready to see some of them?
Here is your complete guide to hiring local movers
The Question of Do it yourself
For most people who are looking to move and are considering local movers, one of the first things you would have to ask yourself if it is worth it. Do you need to get a local mover? While this may be a tad confusing to you, it can easily be answered by asking yourself some important questions. This would normally include;
- Who would help you move? While the thought of saving money can be tempting, thinking about the individuals who would help you move should be on your mind. There would most likely be a lot of things which you are going to have to move from one place to another. These things could also be quite heavy too. Therefore, before you make up your mind to do it before you, make sure you always trustworthy and reliable people or friends who are willing to do the heavy lifting for you. If you do not, you would probably be left stranded.
- How much experience do you have? While moving may look as simple as really moving thing, it calls for a lot of experience. For example, there would be the danger of damaging some items permanently on your way to your new home. You have to ask yourself if you have the experience within you to get this job done with precision and accuracy. If you do not, it would be better to contact a local moving company.
- How much driving do you know? Because there are so many things that have to be moved, you might have to drive a van to get your load over to your destination. Having experience driving a van helps as it would reduce the likelihood of an accident on the road. If you do not have experience, it would always be better to leave this job for the professionals to handle
Finding Local Movers
If you have established without a doubt that you are going to need local movers, then the next step would no doubt to find where they are. You should ensure that you try to nail down a moving company as soon as you can. This should be done if you do not want unnecessary time wasting for your items that need to be transported.
However, you would have to find local movers who you can trust to move your personal stuff to your new home. While looking for the suitable one, here are some things which you should very consider;
- Customer review: one of the best way to get the best of the very best local movers these days is through customer reviews. Customer reviews would help you to know just how efficient and good their services are. To get a customer review, you must not go online even though that is a very good option. You can get them from your friends and other people you know who have gone through the same process of moving things. They would be able to tell you which of the local movers are good and which of them are bad. You can also, however, complete your research through the internet.
- Reputation: When looking for local movers, another way to locate them is through their reputation. Many local movers who have shown their good work through the years are well known and are rated very highly. If you are ever in doubt as to the local movers which you should move, you can always fix up an appointment with one of these companies. They would be delighted to help you in any way that they can.
- Skilled Professionals: if you are ever in doubt as to the expertise of a local moving company, you should ensure that you check the certifications and the skills which their staff have. Knowing this would help either reassure you that you are on the right track or give you a sense of danger that the path you are treading is quite dangerous. In the end, it is at your discretion to choose the local mover of your preference.
- Price: another thing which might come into play is the price of a local mover. If you are under a strict budget, it would be better to look for cheap movers which would be discussed below. You can also find out what their price would be by asking for price estimates when you contact them. This would ensure that you do not end up wasting your time. It is important to note that inspection by the local movers of your house remains the best choice when looking for price estimations.
Looking for cheap movers?
Like earlier stated, if you are on the lookout for cheap movers probably due to your budget, then you cannot just settle for any local moving company. However, it is important to note that while getting a cheap local moving company would be amazing, it should not overweight the importance of getting a quality one. For example, imagine that you a local mover who is quite cheap and affordable. You make the necessary payments, and they do a terrible job at it. Your items are damaged or thrown off the van on the way due to reckless driving. You would have lost everything while trying to go for something cheap!
However, going for cheap local movers that do a good job is also very possible. To get this right, here are some things that you might need to do;
- You should try to get in touch with the more reputable local movers who are around you. when you have gotten in touch with them, you should ask for a home inspection to ascertain the cost of moving your items
- Ensure that everything that needs to go is made visible to them to make sure that the costs presented are as accurate as possible. Also, ensure that you know all the hidden costs and miscellaneous which may rear its head during the trip.
Once this is done, it would also be a good idea to get the prices of so many local moving companies and compare them to find the one that is cheaper. Please note that while low prices can be very appealing, it is always a good idea to avoid price estimations which is much lower than the costs of the other local moving company.
Reducing the Cost
Now, it is important to know how to reduce the cost of the movers if you can. When it comes to calculating costs for local moves, it is important to note that there is a wide difference between moving to a different area entirely and simply making a move to another property in the same area. The first thing that marks its difference is the shortened distance in the case of moving locally. It is also important the price of the movement is usually calculated with time as the major determinants rather than the weight of the product nor the height.
Despite the favorable conditions, it is possible to run control of your financial requirement when moving your things. If this is the situation you face, then you can quickly solve your issues using these methods;
- One way to do this is to try to reduce the number of things you are carrying. The truth is that the more products which you would have to carry, the more possibility that the trip would be longer or would have to be broken into many trips. Hence, try to shorten the number of things which you would them to help you carry.
- Try to put your things in order yourself. Remember that everything that counts during this period has to do with time. The only way to reduce costs is by reducing the time they spent with you. Even if you suck at packing, try to ensure that your things are well-arranged for them when they work through that door. You would be surprised as to the impact it would have. If you are having a hard time achieving this, you can always seek the help of your friends. They would always be happy to help.
Please note that sometimes, it is not always easy to have everything that you owned packed and arranged in time. If this is the case for you, you have the option of leaving everything for them to pack or saving some for yourself to pack later. Either choice is good as far as you have the money to back it up.
Spotting Bad local moving companies
Before we forget, it is always a good idea to keep yourself away from local movers who have a bad reputation or are simply incompetent at what they do. While it may be hard to completely focus during this period, it is important to look at for some of these signs. They would hint at you as to the integrity of the companies. They would naturally include;
- It is always a bad idea to go with a local moving company whose prices are just too good to be true. As earlier stated, while this may be tempting, the result is normally a terrible work or even outright fraud.
- Licenses and certifications as professional organizations are also important. You should check to see that your moving company is well certified before trusting them with your personal properties and items.
- You should always be on alert especially if a company asks or request for you to take make some advanced payment. Granted, advanced payments are sometimes reasonable. However, making huge advanced payments before the work is even done would be a mistake on your part.
- Paying with a credit card is also a good thing as it would help you keep a record of all transactions that have been made. It will also help you if the company denies any payments you have made. Paying with cash would make things all too easy for them.
Companies such as iMoving.com are the best options for you if you are looking for a reputable local moving company which is affordable and competent. Ensure that you are never cheated by any local moving company.
Moving to a new property can be exciting and pulsating. However, things can all go bad if you are not careful. You should ensure that you have a good local moving company. iMoving.com is the perfect place to start. By taking the right step, you would be ensuring that your move to your new home would go very smoothly.
In the case of moving from one home to a similar size one or cutting back to a little one, moving isn't only an occasion; it is a procedure. It begins when you initially think about a change and proceeds through numerous phases until the point that you are subsided into your new residence and feel great enough to call it your home. In most cases, this procedure may feel overpowering, and your moving objectives may appear to be unachievable. There are a few tips you can use during your move to ensure this task proceeds in a smooth and productive way.
When a great many people hit retirement, they begin considering their eternity home. For you, it might be a great opportunity to pick where you will age and gain new experiences.
As a senior, moving will frequently require cutting back into a home that is littler, more secure and less demanding to keep up. The procedure includes disposing of things that may hold wistful value. It may likewise include making some extreme plans and calculated choices.
You will need to choose a new place to grow old, join a retirement network or move in with a kid or companion. You may even choose to reside in another nation!
Wherever you pick to stay, you will have to move to arrive there. In this guide, we will cover every one of the tips you should consider for the most agreeable, cheerful move.
If you've experienced a move, you may be acquainted with the terrified inclination that accompanies racing to get things stuffed before movers arrive or not knowing where a family treasure was put. Albeit moving isn't fun, it doesn't need to be upsetting. The way of dealing with the confusion is to be organized.
The following tips can help seniors during the moving process:
Draft a plan
Start by settling on some key choices. Ask yourself what the move will require of you, will you have to do the move yourself. Will you procure movers or moving experts to simply do the moving or will they have to do the packing of your properties also? Will, you put extra things into storage? Next, begin from your moving date and work in reverse to make a course of events of activities that should be done before the move. Keep a scratch pad of all your "to do" things, the mover's contact data, and material assembled about the different parts of your move.
When you draft a plan for your move procedures, it will help you realize just how much you need to put in for a successful and organized move. The drafted plan is not a checklist; you’ll also need to create a checklist of your things before you begin your move.
It's never too soon to start arranging your things. Regardless of whether you have not chosen a moving day or the location of your new home, you can at present begin this procedure. Start by concentrating on the areas that will, in general, require additional attention. Those areas can be the storm cellars, attic, closet or garage. Set aside time to work through the papers in your cupboard too.
When you start early, you will have adequate time to organize your things. Starting early gives you the opportunity to address anywhere you might have made a mistake during your moving process. It will make the transition easier and less stressful.
Simplify your tasks
Achieving a huge assignment like moving can be overpowering on the off chance that you see it as a whole. At the point when the activity is separated into smaller tasks, it turns out to be very reasonable. It took a long time to collect what you have, so you cannot rush the process of sorting through it all. Pick one little region, for instance, a closet or a cabinet, and work your way from there. Completing a little part every day will move you effortlessly forward towards your objective.
Sort through your belongings
If you are moving to a smaller residence and you've settled on the choice to downsize, at that point, it's an ideal opportunity to sort through your belongings. Moving to a smaller apartment implies you can't take all your stuff with you, regardless of the fact that you are very connected to your things.
To categorize your belongings, you should sort your things into four essential classes:
To categorize your belongings, you should sort your things into four essential classes: Keep, Store, Sell/Give, and Trash. Begin with one zone of your home per time, regardless of whether it's only one wardrobe or one dresser, and sort through everything, choosing which fits into which class.
In case you're experiencing difficulty making sense of what to keep and what to dispose of, know that something is best discarded out or given out.
When you want to pick a category for any of your belongings, bear the following in mind:
- You never removed it from the box-- sell it or give it away
- It doesn't accommodate your style or needs--- give it out
- It's old or outdated--- you don't have to keep it
- You won't utilize or reuse it once more--- it belongs in the trash
- It's an incomplete project-- if you won't finish it, trash it
- It hasn't been used in over a year and holds no nostalgic esteem-- you need to give it away
- Furniture that won't fit in your new space-- sell it or give it away
Next, know which things ought to be put away. A few things you don't require for everyday living, but store for an assortment of reasons. Things that are best put away include:
- Printed material and documents
- Things that have sentimental value
- Regular things you don't have space to store at your new home
At long last, choose what you should keep. Ensure you don't disregard:
- Sentimental things that you need to see frequently
- Things that have a value that you don't want to lose
- Attire things vital for uncommon events
Remember that the more you dispose of before your move, the more time you will have to put everything into the space of your new home.
Plan out your space
It is useful to comprehend what the span of your new residence would be. Utilizing the square foot estimations of both your present home and your new home, you can figure out how much of your stuff you want to keep. If you are living in a 2,000 square feet apartment at the moment and plan to move to 1,000 square feet apartment, you will scale back (downsize) by half. This ought to be your guideline as you settle on choices about furnishings, accumulations, books, and garments.
Utilize a floor plan for your new home and make furniture layouts to figure out what household items will fit and where the best area for each furniture.
When you plan out your space, you wouldn’t have to move the furniture that won’t fit in anywhere in your new apartment. When you are downsizing, you should sell or give away any furniture that won’t fit into your new abode. If you have any piece of furniture that holds sentimental value, you can put them in storage.
Protect your memories
As you look through your assets, some are anything but difficult to part with; however, others hold significant sentimental value. Everybody has assets that are kept not for their value but rather for the recollections of the memories they bear.
At the point when a cherished thing is recognized, the inquiry at that point moves toward becoming: Can the related memory be spared in another way or is the thing something that you ought to deliberately safeguard for yourself or who and what is to come (future generations)?
There are numerous approaches to safeguard your memories without really keeping the physical thing. Photographs can be scanned and put away electronically, unique collections like teacups can be captured and turned into wall posters, or strips of your most loved shirts can be made into a blanket or quilt.
On the off chance that you cannot part with the physical item, you should bring it along with your other assets to the new home.
Give up some things
One of the hardest activities when you are moving to a new home as a senior is to relinquish your assets. It is hard to dispose of them since you know their worth. They may at present have great life left in them or can be utilized in alternative ways. Locating a home where they are required or realizing that they will be utilized and enjoyed by their new owners makes giving them up easier. An assortment of organizations and non-profits utilize your things to profit others and will put them into good use. Think about what intrigues you or the cause that is essential to you and after that help that causes by giving your things.
Tell your friends about your change of address
Inform your contacts about your new address. Don't forget to tell your postal service provider, companions, newspaper delivery, family, affiliations, and your back about your change of address.
You can do this a week or two before your scheduled move so that your mail transfer can kick in immediately you get to your new apartment.
Prepare for the D-day
Pack a bag as though you were leaving for a couple of days. Regardless of whether you are just traveling a little stretch, it is useful to have all that you have to prepare the following day contained in a bag, rather than covered in a few distinctive boxes. Make sure to incorporate garments, toiletries, and prescriptions you will require.
Make a "Basics" box. This will be the last box stuffed and the first unloaded. It ought to contain things that are most promptly required at the two closures of your move.
Moving can be upsetting inwardly, physically and rationally. This is an energizing and distressing experience, so give others the opportunity to join you in both the delight and the weight of the move.
Request that others be included yet don't hold up until it is too late to look for their help. Regardless of whether it is helping with physical arrangements or sorting out various details of the move, take individuals up on their benevolent offers.
Regardless of whether you are moving to suit another physical need, moving your family unit crosswise over town or relocating to another nation, these tips will make it more endurable for you.
Get ready for the Emotional Side of Moving
For a few, moving includes another experience, and all things considered is an energizing time, yet this isn't the case for everybody. A few people find the move to be a test, particularly on the off chance that they are surrendering living in a place that they gained family experiences. The home where kids were raised and grandkids were born can be difficult to leave.
To get ready for the feelings of moving, ensure you first grasp them. It is not uncommon to feel somewhat dismal when making this kind of transition! Try not to fear these feelings, as they are a solid part of settling into your new home.
All things considered, now and then the misery can transform into something more. Know about the way that a few seniors will battle with a condition known as Relocation-Stress-Syndrome in the wake of making a noteworthy move. This is characterized as a "physiologic as well as psycho-social unsettling influence because of a move from one place to the other.