South San Francisco
10Years in Business
What are You moving?
How does it work?
Book Your Mover
Movers in California
At iMoving, we focus on helping our clients to connect with the best California movers for their move. By providing you with the necessary resources so that you can learn about California moving companies, you will be better prepared to compare costs and determine which company is going to be able to take care of your move most effectively.
When you start looking for moving companies in California via our website, all you need to do is type in the approximate size of your home and the zip codes of the areas you’re moving from and to. We will then provide you with 6 quotes from different local or long-distance California moving companies that partner with us. Choose two or three of those, get estimates, choose one, schedule your move, and you’re ready to go – it’s as easy as that!
Our website takes the confusion out of choosing the right movers in California by making it a simple, 2 step process. Anyone can use our iMoving services and no matter which company you pick, you are certain to get a company that has been background checked and certified by the iMoving team!
Moving Services in California
Everyone has different needs when they are getting ready for a big move. Commercial moves are different than residential moves, apartment moves have different requirements than moving an entire household. Knowing what services that you may need is vital in determining what the cost of your move may look like when all is said and done.
The many moving companies throughout California offer a variety of services that their clients can utilize for additional costs. Here’s a look at some of the most common moving services that you may be interested in from the moving companies that iMoving partners with.
- Long-Distance Moving: Moving across the state or across the country takes a lot of time, effort, and resources for both you and the moving company. Long-distance movers have the experience and necessary licenses for long-haul moves across state lines and can ensure that you and your items get there with no problems.
- Packing Services: Packing services can be partial or complete. These usually include boxes and supplies necessary for the packing process, and they may also disassemble and reassemble any items that need it. Unpacking when you arrive at your new place may also be included for an additional cost.
- Boxes & Supplies: Whether you get packing services or not, many of the companies will offer their clients options for purchasing boxes and supplies that they may need in order to pack up properly. These can include boxes of multiple sizes, tape, scissors, labels, and/or packing kits that include all of these items for particular sized homes.
- Local Moving: When you’re moving down the street or across town, there aren’t quite as many accommodations that need to be made. Costs are often much cheaper, and there’s usually less preparation associated with it. A local moving company can often get your move done in one day, or even an afternoon, with no problems.
- Business Services: Businesses need specialty services for moving. Any electronics and filing cabinets with sensitive information need to be taken care of differently than a residential office would. Commercial moving companies have expertise in regards to confidentiality and being careful with expensive equipment that is found in today’s modern offices.
- Storage: When you’re downsizing to a smaller home or you have a delay between moving out of your old home or office and into your new one, you may need somewhere to store everything. Many California movers have some sort of storage option available so that you can store your items securely and without concern for their condition.
What to Consider Before Hiring a Moving Company in California
You’ve decided that Cali (as it’s known by the locals) is going to be your new home, and now you need to consider a number of things in regards to your move. What do you need to think about before you finalize which company that you’re going to go with? Here are a few considerations that you need to make.
When Do You Plan on Moving?
The time of year, and even the day of the week, that you’re moving can affect the cost and experience of moving to California. You’ll often pay much more for a weekend move than you will if you move in the middle of the week; and you’ll usually pay more during the summer and winter than if you moved in the spring or fall.
Comparing Costs Between California Movers
There are a lot of California movers to choose from, and your choices will differ based on where you’re going and how far your move is going to be. How are you supposed to choose between all of them? Understanding what you’re being charged for and what services you may need can help you to compare costs and services between California moving companies.
At iMoving, we provide you with easy ways to facilitate your move, by helping you to find which movers are going to give you the best costs for your move. By using our website, you are able to compare quotes between multiple movers so that you can find the one that best fits in your budget and that will help you to get things done quickly and affordably.
Will You Be Able to Claim Moving Costs on Your Taxes?
If you’re moving for work or for some other tax-related reason, it’s likely that you will be able to claim your moving costs, either partially or completely. Even if your employer is footing some of the bill for you, you can claim what you ended up paying out of pocket.
Always talk with your accountant before claiming anything on your taxes to be sure that you’re going about the process properly. They can help you to make choices about what to claim and how much you should claim on your tax forms.
Learn About Travel in the Region of California You’re Moving To
Since California is so big, you want to be sure that you know what to expect as you’re traveling to the region that you’re moving to. This can help you to head off any unwelcome surprises or delays on moving day!
For example, if you’re moving to the Bay area, you’re likely to deal with a lot of traffic on your way in, so you need to calculate that into your moving time. If you’re moving to the northern part of the state, you may be trying to get through snowy mountains during the winter months. Knowing and preparing for those sorts of things can make your move go much more smoothly.
Frequently Asked Questions When Looking for a California Moving Company
Getting ready to find a moving company can be stressful, but if you’re prepared ahead of time, you will find that it’s much easier and less stressful for you. You may have some questions related to your move – here’s a look at some of the most common ones we see here at iMoving.
When should I start looking for a moving company?
Most moving companies want you to give them at least 6 to 8 weeks’ notice for any move, whether it’s local or long-distance. This allows them to fit you into their schedule. In short, the rule of thumb is, “the earlier, the better,” so that you can guarantee your moving time and get the best rate.
Should I find a moving company in California or my current state?
It all depends on what you can find in both places. Some of the companies that we partner with have multiple branches throughout the country, so they may charge the same rate in either direction. We will work to provide you with the best quotes from both California movers and those in the state that you currently live in so that you get the best rates.
What are binding and non-binding estimates?
When you get an estimate from a moving company, you will either get a binding or a non-binding estimate. A binding estimate is one that will outline the exact cost of moving in your contract based on what services that you need or want, and can only be changed by adding or removing services.
A non-binding estimate is based on the estimated weight of your items and the services that you want or need for your move. Legally, this estimate is not binding, but your moving company is not able to charge you more than 10 to 15 percent more than the original estimate when your move is completed, unless you added items or services to your move.
Are there items that moving companies won’t take?
Yes. Many moving companies will not take waterbeds unless they have been completely drained (some of them require vacuum draining). Plants and animals cannot go into the moving truck either; both would likely die on the trip, and both may be regulated by laws related to crossing state lines.
What plant and animal restrictions are there for the state of California?
You aren’t restricted from bringing vaccinated cats or dogs into California, but if you’re bringing livestock or exotic animals into the state, you may have some problems. No citrus plants, fruits, vegetables, or nuts can be brought into the state without special permission. For more information or if you have questions or concerns, contact the California Department of Food and Agriculture.
How does insurance work?
Your movers will take an inventory of everything that you’re bringing with you in the moving truck. This includes any small items, large appliances, and everything in between. This inventory will be provided to the insurance company that you went with. If anything breaks or is lost during the move, the insurance company will compensate for it based on the market value of the item.
Best Ways to Reduce Your Moving Costs
Moving to a new area, no matter where that area is, entails a lot of considerations, and cost is likely top amongst those concerns. How can you be sure that you reduce the costs of your move? Here are some tips that we’ve found work really well when it comes to affordability.
- Reduce the amount of items that you’re taking with you. Long distance moving companies are going to weigh the truck and charge you based on how many pounds of stuff that you’re bringing with you, so the less you have, the better off you will be. Take some time to sort out items that you haven’t used or worn in a year or more.
- Get free boxes from local businesses. Liquor stores, grocery stores, and restaurants are your best bet. You can go in on the days that they get new stock, or ask them to hold boxes for you. More often than not, they will do it for free, which is definitely better than paying for them through other means!
- Schedule your move for the middle of the week and the middle of the month. Most people will move at the beginning or end of the month, or they will move on a Friday or Saturday. If you schedule your move for sometime between the 10th and the 20th of the month, on a Tuesday or Wednesday, you will find that you can cut some of the costs.
- Always get moving insurance! While this may be an additional cost up front, you will find that it can save you a lot of headache in the long run. Even if something breaks or gets lost during the move, they will either replace the item or give you the cash to replace the item.
- Use clothing or newspaper as your cushioning. When you’re packing items in boxes, don’t spend an arm and a leg on cushioning for your fragile items. Use socks and t-shirts to protect items, or start collecting newspapers and use them as well.
- Pack and disassemble items yourself. Packing/unpacking and disassembly/assembly services will often have additional charges associated with them. If you want to save a significant amount on your move, take the initiative and deal with the packing and assembly concerns yourself.
- Don’t Bring Heavy Items You Aren’t Using. As mentioned above, long distance movers will charge you based on how heavy the truck is. If you’re not using that piano or exercise equipment, don’t bring it with you. Sell it at a yard sale, use online classifieds to sell it, or donate it to a local thrift shop.
If you’re intuitive and flexible, you can often save quite a bit of money on what it is that you’re moving, even with a long distance move. Try these tips and others and you’ll see that you can save a little bit of cash when it is time for you to get ready for that big move you’ve been preparing for.
Wrapping it Up
Moving to California is an exciting adventure, and you want to be sure that you can make your move affordable and low stress. High-quality California moving companies can help you to get the tools that you need and ensure that your items are moved properly and that they are kept safe during transport.
iMoving is here to assist you with every step of the process, making it simple for you to make decisions related to your move to any state in the U.S. Take a look at our options, compare some of our moving company quotes, and get planning for this new phase in your life.